• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse new greenhouse

f3vwrd.jpg
up and running
2euh1qq.jpg
any venting suggestions, pollination suggestions. oh and does anyone use shading material over there greenhouse?

Add a thermoter every 5 feet. I would add doors every 7 feet or so for ventilation and when summer comes I switch out the greenhouse material for garden fabric to shade. Great setup
Buy ladybugs and put them in there also keeps bugs away and pollination help. Are you planting in ground or pots?

nice. you should get a fan up and running in there for ventilation.
i used something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Vent-Attic-Aire-1050-CFM-Gable-Mount-Power-Fan-53315-/400305962688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d34183ec0
its pretty... loud... but it works very well. frame something out of 2x4's and set it up to suck the air out at the top. on the opposite end you need another hole to let air in.

i built something similar and all i can say is keep the plants from touching the plastic... they will get mildewy quick.

Smokemaster is right. You will end up with a California Pepper Oven. It's ok for any cold spells or overwintering, but you will need shade cloth for sure once the heat comes. 

smokemaster said:
Being in Long Beach,I think I'd get rid of the plastic.Or at least make 1 side shade cloth(south side).GONNA BE WAY TOO HOT.I live in the Valley-Van Nuys area which is hotter in the summer and dryer.But you are going to cook your plants with all plastic.Here in Ca.,most times people leave the sides alone and use shade cloth for the roof.The nurseries here use shade cloth and no sides.Don't need a full greenhouse here even in winter for peppers.For good guys I'd go with wasps and lacewings.See Data Sheets for different good guys.http://www.tiptopbio.com/tech_bulletins.htmlScrew sprays etc.An established residence of good guys work great.You might think they are gone but they find other stuff elsewhere to attack and come back when your garden needs them.
good info thank you. I want to put some smaller plants in there while its still somewhat cold. Its been getting pretty cold here at night,40°. Thats why i went plastic all the around. Im going to put a door on each end and leave them open,for venting. When it starts to heat up im going to put the shading material on top and buy one of those kits to roll up the walls.
7potquezada said:
Good job dude, real neat looking.
thank you
Nightshade said:
Add a thermoter every 5 feet. I would add doors every 7 feet or so for ventilation and when summer comes I switch out the greenhouse material for garden fabric to shade. Great setup
Buy ladybugs and put them in there also keeps bugs away and pollination help. Are you planting in ground or pots?
im leaving everthing in pots, when they get big enough i want to build some trough style 4' tall planters open at the bottom. that extend from one side to the other

You will definately want a big fan. One that moves the whole volume of air a couple times an hour. Im going to use shade material over my greenhouse this summer and perhaps even over my raised beds. I live in texas, so the sun can be brutal.

I pollinate by hand with a set of small paint brushes.

Back