• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Need info on planting up to larger container

I have a couple of plants that are a bit taller than the rest.
When I eventually plant them in their next container can I pull the leaves of the lower part of the plant to plant it deeper? I think I read that this was OK, but couldn't find that thread this morning.

Being that this is my first year from seed I planted everything at the same time. The first to sprout were two Peri-Peri (c. baccatuum) plants. They beat the other c.annumms by a day or two. They are also growing the tallest even under the same conditions as the Annumms. They are close to three inches tall already whereas the others are only two inches tall at the most.

Next year I will be better prepared for next years start of the growing season.

Are they real leggy? If so plant them up to the leaves. I can't see removing the leaves doing anything positive for the plant.

If they're not real leggy no reason to do anything.

Yes, you can, although it's usually not necessary unless the plant hasn't gotten enough light and is leggy.

Having your light source too far from your plants is the #1 reason for them being leggy. When you do transplant them, bury them as much as possible and move your lights closer. That should do the trick!

I'm not sure that they are technically leggy. My lights are about an inch from the top of the plant. I'm just worried because they are growing taller than the other varieties. And I just wanted to be prepared for when I do pot them up the next time.

When I potted them up from the jiffy peat pellet to the 9oz cup that they are in now, I planted them right up to the first set of leaves. That first set of leaves isn't much above the soil line now. That is how I base my belief that they aren't really leggy, just growing faster than the rest of my plants.

Thanks for all of the advice, I am always up for learning more. Even if it comes due to my own mistakes.

yeah, you will find that even within the same variety of peppers they will still grow at different rates. I have some seeds that all came from the same pod and planted at the same time, yet some plants are taller than others. I wouldn't worry too much...

I don't plant deeper than the first set of (baby) leaves. Sometimes they end up falling off after I transplant if they get a lot of dirt on them when I water, or if it rains and stuff.

snowmanaxp said:
I'm not sure that they are technically leggy. My lights are about an inch from the top of the plant. I'm just worried because they are growing taller than the other varieties. And I just wanted to be prepared for when I do pot them up the next time.

When I potted them up from the jiffy peat pellet to the 9oz cup that they are in now, I planted them right up to the first set of leaves. That first set of leaves isn't much above the soil line now. That is how I base my belief that they aren't really leggy, just growing faster than the rest of my plants.

Thanks for all of the advice, I am always up for learning more. Even if it comes due to my own mistakes.

Don't pluck any leaves. eventually, your container will limit the root growth which consequently limits above-ground growth

I often cut off bottom leaves and bury plants extra deep for extra strength and wind support. The bottom leaves usually die off anyways from lack of light and these leaves can restrict air flow through the plant and are often just weak and more succeptible to insect attacks and molds/fungii.

Damn POTAWIE!!!!

I guess you just dismembered my statement.

Tore it apart limb from limb
Threw it on the ground
Stomped on it...

Twice!

Jk jk, Good thinking though :-)

Back