• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Need a recipe for dill pickles

Yeah, I know, this should be posted in the recipe section, but in checking it, there are very few responses and I have ripe cucumbers I need to pickle.

Do you have a sure-fire, everyone who has tried these pickles love them recipe? If so, please post it.

Mike

10 canning jars
40-42 medium pickling cucumbers
4 cups white vinegar
3 quarts bottled spring water
Bunch of fresh dill
1/2 cup minced garlic
3/4 cup kosher salt or sea salt
2 tablespoons black, red, green and white peppercorns
10 dried habanero pods
1 tablespoon pickling spices

===============

Clean cucumbers in cold water and add the water, vinegar, and salt in large pot. Add sprigs of dill (stems and all) and pickling spices in cheesecloth. Knot the cheesecloth and place it in the pot with the rest of ingredients. Bring it to a boil to make a brine solution. Divide the rest of the ingredients among the jars and add them. Add the pickles to the jars and fill with brine solution. Can for 8 minutes in water bath and cool the jars quickly. Pickles are ready depending on how you like them, from fresh, to sour.

Hotpepper,
That looks like a dynamite recipe. I can't wait to try it. The cucumbers are coming on now big time. Thanks to you Wordwiz for asking, even if you did get scolded for posting in the wrong place.
thumbsup.gif

I use this recepie for dill pickling japs but it should work

ok here it goes
clean japs,cut them in sections,2 level tea spoons of pickling salt(per liter)
3/4 cup vinager
1/4 water
bring to a boil(peppers not in yet)
2 cloves of garlic
put garlic,dill and peppers in cleaned bottle
mind you dill to taste
I loaded my bottles with dill
boil lids and tops
then seal and enjoy
this goes by liter or pickeling jar
water,vinager and pickling salt has to be brung to a boil

Does anyone know of the availability of a copycat recipe for the pickled peppers sold by Tony Packo's in Toledo?

Back