smokers My New Smoker - ECB

Just picked this up last night and put it together.

That's right, it's a classic ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann) :D

I've been smoking on my Weber Kettle grill up until now and have wanted to get a smoker for a really long time. Only problem is that they can get pretty pricey for a nice one. And with 2 kids, day care bills, etc etc etc.....I just couldn't justify shelling out big $$$ for a new smoker.

So I've been reading about ECB's on the net for a while. I don't think that it's any big secret that out of the box, they most often produce "less than desirable" results. They are very cheaply made, don't fit together well and are not engineered for maintaining temps at a desirable level. That being said, there are LOTS of articles that have been written about how to modify ECBs to get them to perform significantly better than they do out of the box. That is what I intend to do with this one. As you can see in the pic, the very first thing I did was install the legs on the outside of the body of the smoker as opposed to the inside. This allows you to lift the entire smoker on/off of the charcoal pan for easier access in the event you need to add more fuel. Much easier than going through the top when you have the barrel loaded up. Other than that, the smoker is out of the box stock right now.

Over the next week or so (time permitting) I will be making the following modifications to this unit:

1. Drilling holes in the charcoal pan to increase available oxygen flow.
2. Adding a small charcoal grill to the charcoal pan. It will sit about an inch off of the bottom to allow ash to fall down as opposed to smothering the coals.
3. Drilling holes and installing a damper kit from a Weber Kettle grill in the lid to enable better temperature control.
4. Adding a real grill thermometer in place of (or in addition to) the one that came with the unit. Or may just opt for a digital thermometer with a wireless transmitter.
5. Adding a fire proof replacement gasket from a Big Green Egg Grill around the base of the lid (just under the lip) to get a better seal.

From what I've read so far, folks have been able to turn ECBs into decent little smokers that perform pretty well with the above mentioned mods.

Sounds like a lot of work for such a cheap little smoker, but I actually enjoy tinkering around with stuff like this so it will be insteresting to see what sort of results I'll be able to produce post mods.

Anybody else got one of these that they've been using? Love to hear what your experience has been like....

4690491483_c1bb1cfff5.jpg

they work decent out of the box it takes some time to get used to the quirks of your smoker but in time it pay out nicely.

Enjoy

Good topic. Have an electric brinkmann that works good enough- the element keeps a constant temp- def room for improvment though... Been checkin the various ways to mod them myself. Wanna get a charcoal one sometime and mess around moddin one. Post some more pics if ya get a chance when you do more- would be interested to see how it comes out.

Good topic. Have an electric brinkmann that works good enough- the element keeps a constant temp- def room for improvment though... Been checkin the various ways to mod them myself. Wanna get a charcoal one sometime and mess around moddin one. Post some more pics if ya get a chance when you do more- would be interested to see how it comes out.

Will do. Hopefully I'll have time to work on this sometime this week. I'm dying to start smoking with it. I'm thinking a couple of chickens would be good for the first run on it. I'll update the thread as I make the mods to the smoker.

Cool. Picked one up to mod/mess around with earlier today. Not sure when I'll get a chance to actually work on it but will post up too when I do.

Mods are all done, just as outlined in the initial post.

We burned it in today. It was painful to fire it up and run it all day with nothing in it, but I wanted to cure it today and see what sort of run time I would be able to get out of it without replenishing the charcoal pan.

Good news is, I fired it up at 1:15pm today and at 8:30pm tonight, I still had glowing coals in the pan and temps were in the low 200's. 7 hours off of a single pan of charcoal (Kingsford briquettes) isn't bad at all for a $39.00 smoker.

I have pics of the smoker post mods, I just need to upload them so I can post them. Next weekend will be the real test, we'll be firing up a couple of racks of spares for the 4th :)

Hey now THP, you can turn out some good vittles w/ these things... :)

Lookin forward to your pics Deadhead. My mod is coming right along. Two weeks in, and I have the box opened. Even looked inside. Takin' it nice and easy...

I meant the test run with no meat.

I closed my box again, rearrangin' in the garage and have some stuff stacked on it now. Movin a little slow over here...

Bought a 3/4" metal holesaw to make some metal dampers tho!

Don't underestimate that smoker, with the right mods it can produce some great Q. Once you get your mods completed, you'l have much better control of your smokes. You can always use a meat probe pushed through a potato with the end exposed, placing it at grate/rack level to know the temp of your cooking. This will give you the true temp your smoking at, Having a therm in the lid may not indicate grate temp. Be sure and season it before your smoke any food in it. It's all good my friend.

Back