• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My Jalabanero page is up

ok, using the head netting those holes are still big enough for pollen to be spread, whats cheesecloth like ? & are you sure they sell that stuff at a homedepot or ? & using cheesecloth will not bring harm to plants even if used for the whole growing season ?
the cheesecloth or what they call it sounds like it'd be easier to use & less hassle to just get some pure strains of seeds.

chilehunter said:
ok, using the head netting those holes are still big enough for pollen to be spread, whats cheesecloth like ? & are you sure they sell that stuff at a homedepot or ? & using cheesecloth will not bring harm to plants even if used for the whole growing season ?
the cheesecloth or what they call it sounds like it'd be easier to use & less hassle to just get some pure strains of seeds.

If a pure strain of seed is easily available, I buy rather than struggle with trying to produce pure seed. I only try and save seed on varieties that are hard to find.

Cheesecloth is a loosely woven cloth. I wouldn't trust it to keep closely grown peppers from cross-pollinating. One good windy day could ruin your efforts. How it would effect your plant over an entire season depends a lot on the conditions where you live. Here in the wonderful Mildew State, we get plenty of molds and fungi without any help from cheesecloth. If the humidity up your way isn't too bad, your plant will probably do fine under a bit of cheesecloth.

Oh, you know what? I almost forgot. One of the ladies on a butterfly list I'm on said you could get net sleeves in the paint department of most stores. It's for straining paint through to get out any lumps. She said they were cheap and the mesh was fine enough to protect caterpillars from predators, so it would probably work with peppers. That might be what the others are talking about when they talk about getting cheesecloth at Home Depot. I think they come in different sizes.

Looking like 2 of my young African Birdseye's have crossed with habs..small gnarley looking pods.

So will it taste like birdseye (not sure they have a taste, just short sharp heat) or tiny habs?

Damb...what am I going to call them :think:

bentalphanerd said:
Looking like 2 of my young African Birdseye's have crossed with habs..small gnarley looking pods.

So will it taste like birdseye (not sure they have a taste, just short sharp heat) or tiny habs?

Damb...what am I going to call them :D
Birdseye Habaneros? I usually find that Habanero's tend to be the dominant gene, but it depends on what plant you got the seeds from, the Birdseye or the Habanero.

bentalphanerd said:

Damb...what am I going to call them :D

HabEYEneros...;)

Its the freshly grown birdseyes, sitting next to my 'Hab-hedge' - the birdseye plants are only a few inches high & the pods are like I mentioned

I'll post some pics tomorrow

Back