• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

nutrients Mixing nutes/ferts in one gallon?

Looks like my plants need some calcium, but I also want to hit them with some fish emulsion.
Would it be ok to mix them in the same gallon of water?

Depends of what type calcium fertilizer you use. If dolomite lime or wood ash than you may do everything with it :) If something like calcium nitrate than you'd better do not mix it with other fertilizers.

I was gonna buy some bone meal stuff, then I remembered that I have a half gallon of water that I made hard boiled eggs in, was gonna add that instead.

Skydiver said:
I was gonna buy some bone meal stuff, then I remembered that I have a half gallon of water that I made hard boiled eggs in, was gonna add that instead.

Interesting...would that actually work to provide calcium just from the boiled egg water?

'Cuz I was gonna boil some eggs anyways... ;)

QuadShotz said:
Interesting...would that actually work to provide calcium just from the boiled egg water?

'Cuz I was gonna boil some eggs anyways... ;)

Probably not nearly enough, but it's better than pouring it down the drain.

POTAWIE said:
Use the egg shells too

Yup yup. I'm getting a bunch together and crushing them up into nice sharp little pieces to put on top of the soil to rip the guts out of any slug that wanders into my garden.

like the others have said...it depends on what fertilizers you are using...I use the botanicare for soil products and have been told that mixing the progrow with the cal/mag plus and liquid karma would change the pH of the solution and could be detrimental to the plants...therefore, I just use one at the time...

A friend who is a Master Gardner said to never mix ferts, and or additives at all. Basically she said you don't want to fert your plants every time you water so rotate what you fert each watering. Example if you water 4 times a week the first watering fert with your bone meal, watering 2 use your calcium, 3 Epsom salts, 4 fish emulsion etc. She said most of the time this will be your safest way to feed the plants. Although you may be able to add everything in one batch it may or may not cause a problem and is probably not worth the risk. I have been doing my ferts this way and haven't had any issues.

LGHT said:
A friend who is a Master Gardner said to never mix ferts, and or additives at all. Basically she said you don't want to fert your plants every time you water so rotate what you fert each watering. Example if you water 4 times a week the first watering fert with your bone meal, watering 2 use your calcium, 3 Epsom salts, 4 fish emulsion etc. She said most of the time this will be your safest way to feed the plants. Although you may be able to add everything in one batch it may or may not cause a problem and is probably not worth the risk. I have been doing my ferts this way and haven't had any issues.

I think I'll take your friends advice, time to go update my watering/fert schedule to try it this way. Gracias.

Back