• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Lowering soil pH.

I've been reading about lowering soil pH and it's been confusing so far, I bought some aluminum sulfatet thinking it should be a good way to lower it. I'm keeping all my growing organic and after reading it can be toxic to humans i'm looking for some advice on it. I bought a garden mix from a local supplier that consist of brown sandy loam topsoil, aged leaf compost, mushroom compost and cow manure for my raised beds. The pH is reading about 8.0 obviously too high for the peppers and tomatoes I'm growing. What is the best way to lower my pH? I'm already noticing plants having a deficiency in nutrients with yellowing of the leaves.

There are a ton of sulfur products out there. I'm fairly sure Aluminum sulfate is alright for plants but obviously you don't want to eat a spoonful of it......

5-301955.jpg

RedtailForester said:
There are a ton of sulfur products out there. I'm fairly sure Aluminum sulfate is alright for plants but obviously you don't want to eat a spoonful of it......

5-301955.jpg
That is sold at my local home depot, along with its sister product that raises soil ph or "turns hydrangeas pink".

willard3 said:
Try wood ashes from your stove/fireplace.

Everything I've ever read says woodstove ash can actually raise your soil pH do to the amount of calcium carbonate in it. 

If you are heart set on going an organic route, I've heard pine needles can help lower soil pH. 

Baseman said:
Aluminum sulphate will also bind with phosphate so I don't suggest that. Personally I use ph down in the water I use for the plants but a organic way I'd use is using old coffee grounds in the soil

We actually use aluminum sulfate at work to restore hyper nutrient-rich ponds and lakes for that very reason.

dolomite lime - same as the garden lime mentioned before but garden lime is brand specific.

edit: usually added/tilled in before.

How potent is the garden sulfur? Or what is the coverage and the expected pH change ? Do I need a whole bag to cover 900 sq ft to change pH from 7.8 to 7.6? or is the change more significant? Maybe 7.8 to 6.8.

Never mind, No way will I attempt to change the pH of the entire garden using sulfur, or at least not in these 10lb containers. it will take 16lb per 100 sq ft to effect a change of 1. in pH.that'll cost me $160.00. going to treat each hole before planting. Thinking 1 tbs per plant?

Back