wine Looking for Chinese rice wine

Hello all,

Hope somebody here can help me out with this one. I am desperately looking for Chinese rice wine for cooking. It seems like it is impossible to find it here in Canada, well at least in Montreal. I came accross a online store but guess what, they do not ship to Canada. I guess it's quite normal since we are talking about alcohol here.

They say that you can replace it with sherry or jerez or what else but I always find that the real thing it's the best way to get the results and flavor you want.

So please, please, help me to smug some in to Montreal!

Nothing in Chinatown? I would have bet you could find it there.

Saw these listed as Japanese sources, they should have the same if not a higher quality:

Montreal area

Ja Mae
2116 Boulevard Décarie
Montreal, Quebec
Tel: 514-489-9777
Comments: “Korean, with many Japanese products” -(anon)

Miyamoto
382 Victoria
Montreal, Quebec
Tel 514-481-1952
English and French web site

ZanderSpice said:
Nothing in Chinatown? I would have bet you could find it there.

Saw these listed as Japanese sources, they should have the same if not a higher quality:

Montreal area

Ja Mae
2116 Boulevard Décarie
Montreal, Quebec
Tel: 514-489-9777
Comments: “Korean, with many Japanese products” -(anon)

Miyamoto
382 Victoria
Montreal, Quebec
Tel 514-481-1952
English and French web site

Thanks, I will check these out. I didn't think of Japanese nor Korean stores but definitely not in Chinatown. However, I doubt that they are allowed to sell rice wine since all alcohol products are sold in state-owned liquor stores...

Novacastrian said:
What? The state has to sell all the liqour? That's weird man.

Yup, the province of Quebec sell most of the alcohol consumed here in Quebec (lots of $$$ collected - we call it voluntary taxes just like lottery). The grocery stores or convenient stores do sell wine and beer, though the wine sold there is much cheaper in terms of quality. The result is that alcohol sales are very much regulated here!

Just like our neighbours Ontarians who have the LCBO (stands for Liquor Control Board of Ontario) AND the Beer Stores (where they sell beers only).

Canada is indeed a weird country!

Back