• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Liquid soil fertilizer in hydro? 7-1-5

There is a local farmers store that sells pretty affordable liquid soil fertilizer but it's missing calcium, magnesium and sulfur. Reason for this must be that it's meant for soil?

Are there any ways to add these specific nutrients to the mix so it's usable for hydro or is this a stupid thought?

All the contents:

Total Nitrogen 7%
Ammoniacal nitrogen 2%
Nitric nitrogen 2%
Ureic nitrogen 3%

Phosphorus 1,3%
Potassium 5%
Boron 0,01%
Copper 0,002%
Iron 0,02%
Manganese 0,015
Molybdenum 0,001%
Zinc 0,002%

7% nitro is a little high for pepper plants imo. I like 3-5 N

Thanks for your feedback, I really have no idea about nutrient contents. You just taught me a new thing then :) So I might forget about using this for my pepper systems.

My general hydroponics mix is at 5% nitro, only 2% difference though.

Thanks for your feedback, I really have no idea about nutrient contents. You just taught me a new thing then :) So I might forget about using this for my pepper systems.

My general hydroponics mix is at 5% nitro, only 2% difference though.

My bad, didnt know you were talking about hydro. Thought u were talking about soil fert. I'm not familiar with hydro yet. Next yr I will be trying hydro. But I'm thinking maybe same rule of thumb might apply with hydro? Talk to Spongey on the forum he is a good experienced hydro grower. Sry I missed the hydro part in your post

My bad, didnt know you were talking about hydro. Thought u were talking about soil fert. I'm not familiar with hydro yet. Next yr I will be trying hydro. But I'm thinking maybe same rule of thumb might apply with hydro? Talk to Spongey on the forum he is a good experienced hydro grower. Sry I missed the hydro part in your post

No worries! You sure should start doing some hydro, I've learned a lot from it. Still not the master of nutrients yet though haha :)

Currently doing three ebb and flow systems and one dwc with ornamental peppers.

additional calcium and magnesium - ideally in a form of chelates, is in my opinion very important for any hydroponic fertilizer. Last season I actually ran into issues with both of these nutrients, and I AM using hydro fertilizer... . I'd not use this - at least not as a main fertilizer, and if you decide to still do so, get a good foliar fertilizer like CalMag and use it every 2 weeks, or even every week, depending on planth health. Calcium and Mag deficiency is easy to spot.

additional calcium and magnesium - ideally in a form of chelates, is in my opinion very important for any hydroponic fertilizer. Last season I actually ran into issues with both of these nutrients, and I AM using hydro fertilizer... . I'd not use this - at least not as a main fertilizer, and if you decide to still do so, get a good foliar fertilizer like CalMag and use it every 2 weeks, or even every week, depending on planth health. Calcium and Mag deficiency is easy to spot.

Thanks for your reply. So I'll probably skip using it in hydro and just use it for what it's meant for, which is soil. Stick to my lucas formula(GHE Micro and Bloom). Was thinking about giving advanced nutrients a try too, seem interesting :)

Stick to my lucas formula(GHE Micro and Bloom). Was thinking about giving advanced nutrients a try too, seem interesting :)

Since you are in Europe, you might try BioNova fertilizers too. I have had better results with them last season - GHE is exactly the one where Cal and Mag deficiency occured to me :(

Since you are in Europe, you might try BioNova fertilizers too. I have had better results with them last season - GHE is exactly the one where Cal and Mag deficiency occured to me :(

Interesting, did you by any chance use the GHE together with lucas formula like me? Would this deficiency happen even if using that formula?

I can see that BioNova is not available here, would have to buy it from the UK or something. Never heard for that brand before, but always open to try new things!

Yea do NOT use it. It has Urea N which requires breakdown. Anytime you grow in hydro or with grow medium that is larger then 1/4" in partical size you cannot use urea, it will not break down. Also, thos 3 secondary Macro nutrients you listed are needed, in fact I use a fertilizer that is high in those but lacks micro nutrients and plants thrive using it.

Yea do NOT use it. It has Urea N which requires breakdown. Anytime you grow in hydro or with grow medium that is larger then 1/4" in partical size you cannot use urea, it will not break down. Also, thos 3 secondary Macro nutrients you listed are needed, in fact I use a fertilizer that is high in those but lacks micro nutrients and plants thrive using it.

That's another new thing learned today :) I will totally rule out the idea of using it in hydro! What brand you currently use in hydro?

Back