• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Lights for a Newbie

Hey.

Well i've managed to germinate a few superhot chillis, but i realised i have no lights to grow them under!

Right now the first three that have germinated, i have put them under a tiny 20w halogen desk lamp.

I was wondering what type of light i would need to grow between 25-40 plants.

Thanks

I have eight 2' tubes and a 100w CFL with about 50 plants in various stages of growth but I think that's a tad too many plants for what I have. It depends on how big you want to grow them.

199001.jpg

Is that Melbourne Florida or Melbourne Australia?

Hey Jimmy.

Melbourne Australia...

Where did you pick your lights up from, do bunnings stock em? How much am i looking at per plant.

Just going to be growing them large enough till i can repot em outside.

The light at the top was bought at a hydroponic shop. You can get the fixtures for the tubes at Bunnings or any electrical wholesaler (much of a muchness in price) and the actual tubes are aquarium lights. They cost me $80 for each set of 4 at a hydro shop but were selling for $120 at a pet shop. Shop around for a good price. The plants seem to prefer the aquarium lights over the CFL. I don't know whether ordinary tubes will do the job, perhaps someone a little more knowledgeable on the subject can shed some light. Each set of four that I have consist of 2@ Power-Glo and 2@ Aqua-Glo.
Hope it helps.

You'd probably get away with just the CFL you know. They wouldn't have to live indoors for long at this time of year. I think that cost me $90 ready to plug in but you could probably find them cheaper.

Back