lighting Lighting Question Please

I sowed some Butch Ts, Morugas, Reapers, Pasilla Bajios and Peter Peppers on 5/11. All but 3 out of 15 cups have sprouted (Two Morugas and One Passilla Bajio lagging behind).

Some of the plants that sprouted on the 16th are getting very leggy and long. They barely have their true leaves poking out from the top, while my Butch T鈥檚 that sprouted on the 17th are nice short, thick stemmed and have their true leaves all the way out.

Even the Reapers that sprouted on the 20th look pretty good. Mostly the Peters and the Pasillas seem to be over reaching.

I am using a 4 foot florescent fixture with bulbs that were marked sunlight lighting from Wal-Mart. I try to keep the lights 2 to 3 inches from the plants and I am running the lights 24/7.

Should I be taking the leggy plants outside for some real sunshine, or should I reduce my lighting period to 16 hours or less?

im no expert in anyway but id say if you want to harden them and take them outside you can depending on temperature ect ect. now the peter pepper and pasillas will grow a lot faster then your others and the plants themselves look leggy compared to super hots so dont worry about it, id just leave it as is and if continues to grow taller without producing more leaves maybe your light is not strong enough.
is it T5, T8, T12?
also for seedling its fine to have the light on 24/7 i keep mine at 16 on and 8 off from time i started till i plant outside

keep up the good work

If they are leggy, they are stretching for more light. Try lowering your light so its just above the seedlings.

Not sure of the "T" number. 聽Is it printed on the bulb? What "T" number should I be using. I thought I heard somewhere on here that grow lights where not needed as long as you kept them close. I did get the ones that said "sunshine"聽but I,m pretty sure they're not a grow light.聽They聽are much whiter than my more yellow looking shop lights in the garage. Appreciate knowing that the super hots grow different, so I won't be as concerned. Thanks

How close is too close? Is one inch or less ok?

with the T, usually you can tell by the size just google it and you will know, id say use T5 best or T8, T12 is not as good but you can use it, just less watts is all.
you dont need grow lights at all they are expensive and dont offer any massive reward, the sunshine should be around 5000k or 6500k, 6500K is what you want for growing 2700k or the orange redish light is for flowering.
ive been told when it comes to florescent bulbs like all others on how close is easy, closer the better if you can put your hand there and it feels warm not hot your good, with T5 and low watt CFL bulbs you can have it almost if not touching the bulb and it wont burn your plant

Just bought four of the Sylvania 6500K T12 bulbs at Lowes a while ago for my seedlings.
They are much bluer than the cool white I usually use but from all the research I have looked up it seems that 6500k is optimum for seedlings.

Hi SL3, might be off topic, but personally I've also had some leggy seedlings sprouted simultaneously from the same seeds. Sometimes they even put on more true leaves faster too, but when I get around to transplanting themvoila, they have roots that are only half the size of the ones growing normally. Dunno why it happens though.

Hey Proud Marine Dad
I believe below is the lights I have and your below that. Is it much different from the one you came up with. The only thing that concerns me is my聽description聽says "6500K daylight appearance" and yours says "6500K Daylight".

[SIZE=10pt]GE 聽40-Watt T12 4-ft Daylight (6500K) Fluorescent Light Bulbs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]GE Active Spaces Daylight fluorescent bulbs provide a cooler tone for an energetic environment[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]48-in long[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]1.5 inch diameter T12 with medium bi-pin (g13) base[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Uses 40 watts[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Provides 3050 lumens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Lasts 9.1 years based on 6 hours per day usage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]For use in high-activity areas throughout your home[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Bluish white light for super cool appearance[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]6500K daylight appearance[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Sylvania 40-Watt T12 4-ft Daylight (6500K) Fluorescent Light Bulbs[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]T-12 linear fluorescent[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Uses 40 watts for 2180 lumens of brightness[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Bulb life is 20000 hours or 18.3 years at 3 hours a day[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Medium Bi-pin most commonly used in 4' T12 fluorescent fixture[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]For indoor or enclosed outdoor use only[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]6500K Daylight[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Light bulb dimensions 1.5" diameter x 48" long[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]Buy by the Case and Save[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]路聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]High color rendering - 88CRI[/SIZE]

SL3 dont worry about the wording there lol
1 company just put daylight and other put appearance since its suppose to appear like daylight lol
all that matters is the 6500K part and its a whitish blue color.
your bulbs are perfectly fine in-fact you have more lumens so that is a positive there.
do you plan on keeping them indoors or just for germination then outside?
if its staying inside its whole life id suggest later going to T8 or T5 bulbs if you wish to stick with the tubes.
if going outside then what you have if perfect to germinate and get ready

edit: forgot to add if you keep them inside and dont plan on putting them outside you will need 2700k bulb(s)

No they'll be going outside. Plenty of sunshine most the year here. Almost to much. Had the larger plants on the North side of my house and even they started to burn. Got some 60% shade cloth from Gemplers and everything is loving it. Thanks for all the help.

ya with t12 bulbs id say 2-3 inches is perfect
6500k bulb you got is perfect too
it might just be a plant that wanted to grow grow grow lol
from what you have said seems like your doing everything fine.
also when asking or describing things its always 1000x easier to post pics of plants even set up, for next time lol

The T is bulb size. I use a 4' shop light w/ (2) T8 6500k bulbs. Works well.

I purchased the shop light at Lowe's for $15. I purchased PVC pipe and made a stand for the light. That cost around $13. Then I purchased 2 6500k bulbs for $7. For right around $35 I have an excellent seedling grow light. No more leggy plants!!!! The use of 6500k bulbs works best for vegetative growth due to the blue light spectrum. Red light spectrum is used for flowering. So they say. I use 150w HPS light for my soil plant growth and my plants are really really nice. I don't use a HPS light for seedlings and don't recommend it either!

Hope this helps.

Also I keep my T8 fluorescent grow light about 2" from my seedlings.

Back