• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Keeping peppers fresh after harvest?

Yeah you can't freeze and expect crisp peppers afterwards but if you were to set your refrigerator so the (coldest) area is barely above freezing that will slow down the aging process of the pods, as well as help your other food leftovers last a little longer, but that small decrease in temperature will only make a small difference.

Has anyone tried to freeze them with dry ice first? An idea from Alton Brown. They'd freeze quicker with smaller ice crystals. Not sure if they'd need to be sliced up first, so the smaller pieces would freeze even faster.

makes no difference how you freeze them...freezing causes the cell walls to burst because of all the water inside...it's called lysis

AlabamaJack said:
not at the present....I have had two....first one was with me for 11 years almost to the day (passed Oct 2011) and was the best friend a man could ever want....second one bonded with the ex-wife and went with her upon our divorce....

I will be getting another one sometime this coming spring...

here is a link to Roscoe Walley's Rainbow Bridge page if you are interested...

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/ROSCO041/Resident.htm

Damn AJ reading that made this combat hardened Marine bust a tear or two .....reminded me of when we had to put down Cody, the dog I grew up with, he was 14 years old...horrible experience and now I have JJ and couldn't imagine anything happening to my JJ...

Roscoe sounded like a really cool dog...

I had always wanted a dog that would stand on the bow of my bass boat at 65 mph...and Roscoe did exactly that...I would take the butt seat off the front deck when I was going to run up the lake (Lake Fork) and once I got on plane, he would go to the front deck, plant all four of his legs, hold that head up a little...he was planted there....the funniest things were his ears flapping in the wind....lord have mercy I loved that youngun'....

as far as the tears go, only a true dog lover can understand the feelings I had for Roscoe...and I have shed a many....

I have freezed some for the first time. Used one today on a toast and it was fine. Easy to cut when frozen.

AlabamaJack said:
makes no difference jwalk...freezing causes the cell walls to burst, thus eliminating the actual structure of the pod....

here's a question....has anyone ever vacuum packed a fresh pepper and put it in the refrigerator to just see how long it will last without being frozen...think I will get a fresh jalapeno and a fresh habanero at the store and try it....photo acompanied of course...
AJ, here are some jalapeno's I have had in the fridge, in the crisper drawer in a Ziploc freezer bag.  Its been three weeks and they are still firm.

16o3tz.jpg

AlabamaJack said:
I also was looking for that answer and found out keeping them fresh, well, you just can't....so I started making puree...it keeps the fresh taste and if prepared right, will last for years...

if you are interested, here is my puree recipe (that I got from another member a few years ago)

here is a link to the recipe and the process 

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32602-making-some-puree-todaywill-post-pics-of-the-processits-easy/?hl=+alabamajacks%20+puree
AJ, thanks for the link, I think I might have found a use for some jalapeno peppers in my fridge.

jimbo53 said:
AJ, here are some jalapeno's I have had in the fridge, in the crisper drawer in a Ziploc freezer bag.  Its been three weeks and they are still firm.

16o3tz.jpg
 Checked today August 31, about half the peppers are getting soft; will have to use them or lose them real soon.

so a little over a month....that ain't so bad...

Back