• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Just transplaned in pots, when should I fertilize?

Finally getting all of my peppers in pots but was reading that I shouldn't fertilize until flowering process. What do you guys think?

Agreed. Every time I fertilized before flowering, it just made the leaves go all crazy and twisted. Let them become established, then once they start flowering, go for it.

If you transplanted into a soil that contains nutrients, then I would agree with Buzz. But if it's a plain mix, then I'd give them something. It'll probably be a little while before your plants begin to flower much, and in the meantime they need to start growing a root system and putting on some foliage. Your plants will need Phosphorus and Nitrogen (respectively) as well as other micronutrients to accomplish this. 
     Also, I usually give my transplants a shot of liquid fertilizer to help ease transplant shock. Other members here do the same and swear by the results.

bionic said:
Finally getting all of my peppers in pots but was reading that I shouldn't fertilize until flowering process. What do you guys think?

dash 2 said:
     If you transplanted into a soil that contains nutrients, then I would agree with Buzz. But if it's a plain mix, then I'd give them something. It'll probably be a little while before your plants begin to flower much, and in the meantime they need to start growing a root system and putting on some foliage. Your plants will need Phosphorus and Nitrogen (respectively) as well as other micronutrients to accomplish this. 
     Also, I usually give my transplants a shot of liquid fertilizer to help ease transplant shock. Other members here do the same and swear by the results.

i agree with dash as long as they have a few sets of true leaves, not talking about transplanting baby seedlings right? bionic?

no, these are young starter plants that I got from a nursery. I have been using Pro mix for herbs and vegtables for soil and put in a book of matches, shovel full of sand and sheep manure each under the roots of the plant.

bionic said:
no, these are young starter plants that I got from a nursery. I have been using Pro mix for herbs and vegtables for soil and put in a book of matches, shovel full of sand and sheep manure each under the roots of the plant.
It's already fertilized.

Jamison said:
Honestly it's all about reading your plants.  They will tell you once they need something.
Ditto.
And I would think it will last at least 3 months, if the sheep droppings aren't too hot.

If it is too hot, you will know the minute the roots reach it.

Back