• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Jiffy Pots or MG Seed Starting?

I have a few seeds in jiffy pots on top of my fridge that I planted 2 days ago.
I have been reading that the jiffy pots are not the best to use, however I did use them last year and had ok germination rates, about 70%
I was wondering if I should buy some seed starting mix and transfer over the seeds from the jiffy pots into cups of seed starting mix or if I am being a bit too paranoid and just leave them alone.

MG expanding soil was on clearance so I picked up a bag and started my seeds in it this year. Did pretty well with jiffy type pots last year as far as germination.

Try a rapid rooter mat/tray. I put them in a moist towel inside a ziplock bag and put it on a heat mat set to 85 degrees. Once they sprout, they go into the rapid rooter mat. The mat has 98 spots. Right now I have seedlings about to grow their true leaves in every single one using this method.

I use Jiffy Pots but I'm under the impression that the roots have difficulty breaking through once planted. I take a razor and make a good number of incisions before planting. It seems to work well but I'm not the most experienced grower and don't have a lot to compare it to.

jiffy pots works well. Need to keep them damp and avoid dry out. Also, remove the netting before transplanting.

Back