• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Jiffy Pellets vs Potting Soil

I Just Put a New Batch of Seeds including Yellow&Red Peter, Choc Hab, Yellow Trinidad, 7 Pot Yellow, Jonah and Douglah, Im using Jiffy Pellets How Would you Compare this To Using Soil outside?

My two cents so far is how hard the native soil is outside. From y understanding is is harder from them to push thru the top and it's easier to hook in starter soil.

I agree with the above with outside soil.

Personally, I have never had good success with jiffy pellets when it comes to starting peppers and have read others having the same results. I use orchid potting soil and cactus potting soil in jiffy containers.

I have used Jiffy peat pods for 3 years now with a WIDE variety of peppers with a 95% success rate! I would like to also mention that I like using starter soil as well with the same success rate if not better. So, it doesn't really matter, or at least for me that is.

I went with Rapid Rooters this year, as well as Hoffman's and Promix. I will be using Promix from now on. I know a lot of growers that love the starter cubes, RR plugs, or pellets and I just couldn't get a handle on them.

Try a bunch of stuff now when you are relatively new, and once you get a method that works for you stick with it.

Jiffy pellets worked well in my opinion once you get an idea on how to keep them at an optimum moisture level which initially can be a little tough.

Its all down to personal preference at the end of the day. I enjoy the non-messy aspect of the jiffy pellets as I live in an apartment, When I lived in a house I always used potting soil or seed raising mix.

Trial and error and personal preference are your only guages I think and ultimately ease.

Also my experience with jiffy pellets. If you put 2-3 seeds and all germ. Easier to try to pull them apart on starter soil
Mix. Compared to jiffy which can be a pain to separate.

This batch of seeds I used both jiffy an mg starter.
5f6eb49a.jpg

I have been doing a LOT of experimenting with germinating lately.

I tried
-Jiffy'pellets
-potting mix in cups
-potting mix in a tray

I have no Idea why, but I am getting WAY better results with a tray. I got this tip from some one in chat, tested it and wow it was better.

Mix a light potting soil, people say MG seed starter is good, but I prefer Organic.

2. put about 1" of soil in a container like a jiffy dome.

3. lay (pre soaked) seeds on the top of the soil.

4. Fluff up some soil and put a 1/4" layer on top.

5. Use a spray bottle to generously water the soil.

6. Put on the dome lid and put it on a heatpad, cable box, xbox, VCR, what ever you got that will keep it warm.

7. Water as needed

Note: I use Straws to separate lanes to keep the seeds organized. DO NOT USE TOOTH PICKS! THEY WILL MOLD!
I repot them in to solo cups at the first sign of true leaves. Otherwise you will be fighting the soil to save the roots.

Here is a batch I just did with great success.
2012-06-07_00-06-31_849.jpg

I've used jiffy pellets most of my life but in my opinion they are much better left for plants with more aggressive roots like tomatoes.
Some people insist on rermoving the netting, but that just defeats the whole easy factor which is the main reason most people use them
For peppers I definitely prefer a loose well draining soil in plastic cells. Usually pro-mix with extra perlite or something similar

I'm with Mgold on this one.
I've started using rapid rooters instead of jiffy pods with much faster germination rates. Under a week for bhuts...
Jiffy pods always worked better for me than soil when it came to getting seeds to germinate.
Rapid rooters are the texture of a sponge, soft and hold moisture more evenly.
My best germ rates have been from seeds on top of my wifi...
Oh, and I also made the move to promix this year.
Happy camper here.

Seeds only really need moisture and heat to germinate. Personally I never see much difference in germination rates between different mediums, its right after germination where the plant has to work to push its roots out that it makes a huge difference.

Thus far, I've had great luck with Jiffy Peat Pellets. In my most recent run, I had well over an 80% germination rate. All I had to do was what POTAWIE suggested, just add heat & moisture, and then wait a week or two. The vast majority of the seedlings broke through within the first 7-10 days.

One thing you can do is purchase them in bulk from Amazon. I purchased a bag of 200 for around $20

I have noticed a problem with them. They dont break down after two months! And now at three months it shattered and now the main stem islopsided. Imma have to bury them stem now.

I have been using a combination of Jiffy pellets, Promix and Jiffy starter mix.

Jiffy pellets - are great for convenience and if you have a huge number of seedlings I find them to be easiest to deal with but dry out too easily if forgotten about.
Jiffy starter mix - great for small seeded plants like lettuce and herbs, not so great for tomatoes or peppers, the stuff is too light to bust off the seed cap.
Promix BX - works just fine straight out of the bag, very affordable on a large scale compared to the other two, will be my weapon of choice for starting seeds from now on.

try coco coir pellets. they are less acidic than peat and they seem to not dry out as quick. they work great for me. i have had good luck with peat pellets as well as multiple types of soils. mg potting soil, mg orchid mix, etc.

I find pellets dry out too quick. If you leave them dry for only a few hours your seeds are toast. I use promix in plastic cells and have had pretty decent results

Back