• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Jiffy Peat Pellets....Never Again.

I use the wet kitchentowel in a ziplock bag ... can get obscene amounts of seets per m2 and I like the fact a lot that in the throughlight I can see exactly what is going on ...

once I see life (the hook coming out), then I move those selectively into the starter mix.

there must be a 1000 ways leading to rome :-9

cheers
Al

With jiffies, I dont catch the roots early enough and they grow through the mesh. When I try to pull the mess of I loose those roots.

Yes I take off the mesh! I feel like it restricts the roots true potential. With a solo cup, just take it out and plant it...
No worries.

Not to be picky but aren't those 2 statements slightly contradictory??

You state on one hand if you don't get them early enough the roots grow through the mesh , bit then say it restricts the growth if you don't take it off?? If baby plants can push their roots through surely as the plant gets larger so to its roots get larger and stronger ??
I agree you shouldn't leave the mesh completely surrounding but I believe a tear down one side is enough to release the compression of the medium more then allowing roots through as such. I took the nets off on one lot of plants and on another simply tore one side. I saw no difference between the two sets of plants in vigour or root mass.
Just my 2 cents. Not saying you are not correct. Just my observations

I actually will put my money where my mouth is in a few weeks and do a comparison with a new chilli with all seeds from the same pod. 1 of each (1 torn, 1 intact and 1 completely removed)
Should be interesting as if I keep things fairly uniform it should make a somewhat valid experiment and a good reference point for others

Not to be pricky but aren't those 2 statements slightly contradictory??

I actually will put my money where my mouth is

:P
Before pot up, I peel off the mesh. Sometimes I wait too long before I do so and its hard to get the mesh off because the roots are already through the mesh.

Sorry I didn't break it down enough for you.

This is why I am not using jiffy's anymore, that and a bail of peat with solos goes 10x further and is the same thing.

Sure the roots can break through it but how much energy is wasted doing so? This is the entire reason we don't like compacted soil, that and it doesn't drain well. I don't think it makes a major difference, but for some people in places with short grow seasons, every bit counts. And you wouldn't see me using them if I was in a biggest plant competition.

i am using jiffy pods. i have about 110 plants and think i have maybe 5 or 6 that have failed to germinate so far. my only gripe is that the peat pods stay wet for a long time. i hydrated mine on March 30th, and haven't needed to water them since. thats even with the dome OFF of the jiffy greenhouse thing.

Jiffy's have their place but I'm not sure that they are the best solution with chile pepper seeds/seedlings. I've tried them (as well as several other containers) and have found that regular 3 ounce bathroom drinking cups work the best for me. You can see how I use them here: http://www.knot2worry.us/germination.html

Naturally after the seedlings get some size on them, I have to transfer to 16 ounce or 18 ounce beer cups.

In any event, there are many ways to germinate chile pepper seeds and it is a matter of personal preference.

Enjoy!

Big Mike
Visit us Online: http://www.knot2worry.us

All of my peppers this year started in jiffy pellets, but I've started seed without them before. My biggest suggestions when using them are to always soak your seeds for a day before sowing, and use a heating pad beneath your dome. It's a $20 investment that has bought itself several times over in seeds that aren't easily (or cheaply) replaceable.

Back