• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Jerky recipe/techniques wanted

Sickmont said:
Why in the world would food coloring be used as an ingredient of a cure? Seems like a waste of money to me.

to preserve the colour. I had some seasoned ground beef left from making a batch of jerky, it has all the seasonings and preservative added. I decided to fry it up with some vegies. it kept it's natural red colouring even when cooked, I put this down to the preservative. maybe it's to make the finished jerky look more aesthetically pleasing.

chilehunter said:
bentalphanerd - so have you made any jerky yet ? if so how did it turn out ?

Not yet...I'm going to set up the solar plan dehydrator that chilliman64 found with an added smoker box ....I went to price parts a few days ago but got sidetracked by a 12 V cooler at a bargain price (have been chasing one for a while).

Im away on Hols in 2 days so will leave it until I get back next week.

Thanks all for the input..I'm actually feeling confident of making some decent jerky first go...mainly because I actually like the thin brittle style. :shocked:

bentalphanerd said:
What do you use for a dehydrator cyotefishing? That a store bought item?
Sorry so late in gettin back Bental. Yes it is a store bought dehydrator. Nesco snackmaster 500 watt. It is the tyical stacked slotted tray deal. I have used the oven before, but pretty messing from the dripping. It's not dry( low humidity) enough here or long enough to do it outside. I'm sure it can be done in a more arid climate. But the ol' Nesco works just fine.

bentalphanerd said:
Not yet...I'm going to set up the solar plan dehydrator that chilliman64 found with an added smoker box ....I went to price parts a few days ago but got sidetracked by a 12 V cooler at a bargain price (have been chasing one for a while).

Im away on Hols in 2 days so will leave it until I get back next week.

Thanks all for the input..I'm actually feeling confident of making some decent jerky first go...mainly because I actually like the thin brittle style. :mouthonfire:

dude, let me know how it goes! I've seen quite a few dehydrators on ebay going for less than $100 lately also.

Back