• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum Jalapeno Questions

I've got 9 Jalapeno plants growing in the back yard. They are Bonnie Plants brand bought at Home Depot. How hot will they be compared to the sliced Jalapenos that you buy in a store? Also, a friend of mine says you have to stress the plants to get them hotter. Do you start that now, wait till they flower, or wait till after they flower? One last question since I'm new at this. How many Jalapenos can you get from an average plant?

Thanks,
Gengar

I'm not sure how hot your particular plant is but likely hotter than grocery store types. If your going to stress the plant make sure to wait until the pods are well established, and be aware that stressing the plant will likely affect future pod production. I'd say that if you want more heat just grow a hotter variety and skip the stressing or just let your pods almost ripen to red for more heat and flavor

Here's a link for Bonnie's jalapenos but it doesn't mention anything about variety
http://www.bonnieplants.com/tabid/420/p/941/Default.aspx

Most of us on this forum find that the regular jalapenos are not very hot. The ones I grew last year were about as hot as a green bell pepper. So people are suggesting to grow the Biker Billy Jalapeno. If I don't get any heat out of these then I'm giving up.:)

Back