• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Is Sulfur good? Why use a matchbook and not just sulfur powder or pellets?

What is the story behind putting matched in the hole you are transplanting into?  I think it  lowers the pH but am not sure exactly.  Can you just add sulfur to the soil instead?  

Thanks Casper

Casper said:
What is the story behind putting matched in the hole you are transplanting into?  I think it  lowers the pH but am not sure exactly.  Can you just add sulfur to the soil instead?  

Thanks Casper
yes it does lower the ph some, my dad used to do that around our sweet peppers when i was a kid, i do think too much is a bad thing though

thanks your friend Joe

Casper said:
What about adding a couple sulfur prills to the soil for a slow release of sulfur?
Is this a bad idea?
depends on the potentcy, as i said too much could over-acidify the soil and thats a bad thing
what i would do it split one in half and water it in ground each plant

thanks your friend Joe

Sulfur is needed in small amounts as a micronutrient. I use a fertilizer that has sulfur already in it,a lot of tomato ferts have it.

both r correct---sulfur is a macronutrient that fascilitates the metabolism in plants
  • Essential plant food for production of protein.
  • Promotes activity and development of enzymes and vitamins.
  • Helps in chlorophyll formation.
  • Improves root growth and seed production.
  • Helps with vigorous plant growth and resistance to cold.
  • Sulfur may be supplied to the soil from rainwater. It is also added in some fertilizers as an impurity, especially the lower grade fertilizers. The use of gypsum also increases soil sulfur levels. 
  •  
  • Sulfur is also used to lower the PH in alkaline soils. Peppers typically grow best in ph range 5.8-6.5. If u live around the coast ur soil maybe alkaline because of the shell decompisition over the years. Have it tested and if high add sulfur to adjust it lower...any state ag extension office can give u an accurate reading of ur soil for free.
hope this helps--
ed
www.staugiehotpeppers.com

I read that burying matches is not a good idea - supposedly matches today contain other undesirable chemicals... Again, that's 2nd hand info but I'd consult with Google before.

Matches don't just contain Sulphur but also phosphorus and potassium, hence the addition to a planting hole gives the plants a small amount of these 3 important nutrients ... although to be honest you would be best to use some good compost and manure and forget the matches ....

Al-from-Chile said:
I read that burying matches is not a good idea - supposedly matches today contain other undesirable chemicals... Again, that's 2nd hand info but I'd consult with Google before.
I did wonder about that

alot of container growers  I know go to horse farms and scoop out the stall and grow their peppers in pure horse manure......guess its better than milorganite!

ed

Back