gadgets Instant Read thermometer

All the testing authorities seem to give the $90 Thermapen the highest rating.
Is it really worth that price for the "common cook"? Even at a discounted price of $69 occasionally.

What is in your kitchen?

Note you can still get the "splash-proof" version for less $$. I just very recently purchased a Thermapen for myself. I was fairly in the same boat with you - is it really worth it? It depends upon what you commonly cook, or even how much you care about things you only occasionally cook. But also, keep in mind that it's not limited to use in the kitchen - do you have other things for which a good temperature reading is important to you?

My motivation for getting one was candying hot peppers. I've candied them in the past but wasn't thrilled with the outcome. Yes, I had an inexpensive candy thermometer that I used in the past, but again, I was not thrilled with the outcome. The Thermapen is so much faster, I was able to have much more control over the process, and was extremely pleased with the outcome. 

That aside, we all have strengths and weaknesses. Some of us are pretty darned good at judging, for example, when a steak is perfectly cooked to our liking. For others, however, this is a continual mystery. The time it takes for a standard meat thermometer to register can be sufficient to over-cook the meat (according to one's preferences, of course.) I'd suggest that for those who can't figure out when a steak is just right for them otherwise, something like the Thermapen is a good, if pricey, choice.

Totally depends on the individual.

I think it's well worth the price.
Very accurate and extremely fast. If you do any grilling or smoking after dark I would suggest the auto backlit model.

Definitely love the thermapen. And need to get a 2nd one so I can have one in the house and one in the kitchen.

I have two....worth every cent.

Heard a spot on America's Test Kitchen touting the thermapen. Only gripe I have is that it's not ambidextrous. When stirring a pot of sauce and trying to hold the thermapen, it's awkward.

Thermapens are the best. I use mine all the time. If you want, I could tell you if there is a sale when I get an email. They usually sell overstock of 1 color from time to time. 

Thermapen and get the boot and holster. hehe.  We bought Thermapens for our three daughters last Christmas.  Love it.

salsalady said:
Heard a spot on America's Test Kitchen touting the thermapen. Only gripe I have is that it's not ambidextrous. When stirring a pot of sauce and trying to hold the thermapen, it's awkward.
The new version has a rotating display, which may help with this. May. Look it up and see what you think.

Yep, got that one.

And for those who aren't ready to shell out $99 for a thermometer, ThermoWorks has smaller, less-expensive ones, too. Thermopop is about $30. RT600C is about $25. They have a somewhat narrower overall temperature range, a little more skoosh room in accuracy (we're talking tenths of a degree here) and aren't quite as fast - in the 5 to 6 sec range instead of 3 sec. But that's still faster and more accurate than many others.

I have two thermapens. I bought them mainly for bbq meats, and they are worth the money if you are serious about cooking.

Back