• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor indoor growing

Hi my name is damien and im new to this forum and growing chilli.I would like a bit of information.Firstly i would like to know if i can grow chilli plants indoors,?(on the window still maybe in my kitchen)As our climate here in ireland isnt good i dont think i have much option.Is it ok to germinate the seeds in my hot press?Will the seeds germinate on a piece of cotton wool or should i use a special type of soil? Any information for the first time indoor grower will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot Damien

Welcome! Yes you can grow indoors, but keep in mind, some of these plants get big (up to 7 feet+ if you are lucky). Hmmm...Irland....ya, that might be tough on peppers (how's the beer out there, I've always wanted to go there just to drink and see the beautiful country sides). What is a hot press? I generally use a small pot with dirt to germinate the seeds. Be sure to soak them in water for a day before planting, it always seems to speed up germination time.

A hot press is what we call an airing cupboard,where we keep our hot water tank and air our clothes out.The beer here is good.You cant beat a good pint of irish stout(preferably guinness!!!)
imaguitargod said:
Welcome! Yes you can grow indoors, but keep in mind, some of these plants get big (up to 7 feet+ if you are lucky). Hmmm...Irland....ya, that might be tough on peppers (how's the beer out there, I've always wanted to go there just to drink and see the beautiful country sides). What is a hot press? I generally use a small pot with dirt to germinate the seeds. Be sure to soak them in water for a day before planting, it always seems to speed up germination time.

Ok, then yes, the airing cupboard is a good place to sprout. I've never liked the "American" Guinness, never had the "Real" Guinness though...I imagine unpasturized "Real" Guinness is awsome! Hey, how eay is it to become a citizen of Irland and is there alot of work out there (ie: graphic design and such?)

there was a lot more work a while back.the economy is flourishing here for a good few years and as europe has opened a lot of gateways it is much easier to come here and work from european countrys.we have a lot of polish here looking for work but mainly manual labour.I am not sure of the restrictions for travellers from the states or central or southern america,but im sure that if you have qualifications or if your are skilled in one department or an other you should have no problem gaining access to ireland on some sort of working visa .it would be worth it for the guiness.......!!!!!!!
imaguitargod said:
Ok, then yes, the airing cupboard is a good place to sprout. I've never liked the "American" Guinness, never had the "Real" Guinness though...I imagine unpasturized "Real" Guinness is awsome! Hey, how eay is it to become a citizen of Irland and is there alot of work out there (ie: graphic design and such?)

redhotstratocaster said:
there was a lot more work a while back.the economy is flourishing here for a good few years and as europe has opened a lot of gateways it is much easier to come here and work from european countrys.we have a lot of polish here looking for work but mainly manual labour.I am not sure of the restrictions for travellers from the states or central or southern america,but im sure that if you have qualifications or if your are skilled in one department or an other you should have no problem gaining access to ireland on some sort of working visa .it would be worth it for the guiness.......!!!!!!!
Cool, thanks for the info!

Oh ya, and just an fyi, usual discussion board edicate is quote first, response after. ;)

Hi again, Strat. I'm in the same boat as you: Birmingham's not that sunny at the moment, so I'm growing indoors.

I have 7 varieties growing at the moment, all were germinated in an airing cupboard (seeds in damp/ wet cotton wool sealed into a plastic bag to make a greenhouse effect, then in the airing cupboard).

They were then planted in germination trays, put in the conservatory, and I am about to pot them tomorrow, and probably put the whole lot (48 plants) in pots on a wooden board on our spare bed (wife wants them out of the conservatory before Jnr starts eating them!). THere's a wee bit of variation between plants as to which have truly excelled, and which are merely limping along, but thye're all growing, so I'm hopeful

(interesting, it's middle-of-the-road stuff like Hidalgo and RIng Of Fire that are least impressive. Anaheim, Ancho, Jalapeno, Early Jals are shooting ahead).

Sorry, I'm rambling, but I'm into a bottle of wine meself at the moment. Final tale: Proper Irish Guiness. Dropped a dirty 2 pence piece into a pint of it in a fantastic pub in Galway once. It came out clean when I got to the bottom of the pint. No word of a lie. :P

P.S. Sorry I've been away for a while, folks: Been off to spain for a short break. Top weather conditions over there. Sh1tty soil, but must remember to take some seeds out with me next time to try it anyway :cheers:

Shooty* said:
Hi again, Strat. I'm in the same boat as you: Birmingham's not that sunny at the moment, so I'm growing indoors.

I have 7 varieties growing at the moment, all were germinated in an airing cupboard (seeds in damp/ wet cotton wool sealed into a plastic bag to make a greenhouse effect, then in the airing cupboard).

They were then planted in germination trays, put in the conservatory, and I am about to pot them tomorrow, and probably put the whole lot (48 plants) in pots on a wooden board on our spare bed (wife wants them out of the conservatory before Jnr starts eating them!). THere's a wee bit of variation between plants as to which have truly excelled, and which are merely limping along, but thye're all growing, so I'm hopeful

(interesting, it's middle-of-the-road stuff like Hidalgo and RIng Of Fire that are least impressive. Anaheim, Ancho, Jalapeno, Early Jals are shooting ahead).

Sorry, I'm rambling, but I'm into a bottle of wine meself at the moment. Final tale: Proper Irish Guiness. Dropped a dirty 2 pence piece into a pint of it in a fantastic pub in Galway once. It came out clean when I got to the bottom of the pint. No word of a lie. :D

P.S. Sorry I've been away for a while, folks: Been off to spain for a short break. Top weather conditions over there. Sh1tty soil, but must remember to take some seeds out with me next time to try it anyway :D
Ok,so i put the seeds onto a piece of cotton wool and soaked it with warm water and put it into a sealed plastic bag and popped it into the hot press.Should i fold the cotton wool over so that the sseds are enclosed or should i have just left them sitting on top of the wool? How long should it take before they sprout ?

I did it with kitchen roll rather than cotton wool.

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that you should fold it over if you can, yes: it'll ensure that all sides of the seed get moisture, which has got to be a good thing. Mine were well wrapped up on the kitchen roll.

How long do they take to sprout: Depends on the variety, as far as I can tell from the ones I've done. Between a week and a couple of weeks? Something like that.

Shooty* said:
I did it with kitchen roll rather than cotton wool.

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that you should fold it over if you can, yes: it'll ensure that all sides of the seed get moisture, which has got to be a good thing. Mine were well wrapped up on the kitchen roll.

How long do they take to sprout: Depends on the variety, as far as I can tell from the ones I've done. Between a week and a couple of weeks? Something like that.
Ok.folde over it is...just have to wait now...where's that cork screw........?:clap:

Back