• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Indoor growing, HID lights and FIRE SAFETY.

Hi all!

As detailed in my grow log, i recently put a 600w MH in my grow tent.. a significant step up from my 130w fluro.
The HID lighting brings up a few concerns about fire safety. For one, the light itself is a lot bigger, complex, hotter. Then there's the addition of a large ballast. Then there's the timer. And all the power cables!
Basically i don't want to burn down the house :mouthonfire: .

Here's a picture of my grow tent with light
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/bracken2656/lightofdoom005.jpg
Here's a picture of where i have the ballast and timer. It's sitting on an old PC case... in order to conduct heat away and also so it's not sitting on carpet. I assume this is a good idea, lol!
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/bracken2656/lightofdoom006.jpg
The power cable i have running behind a desk and into a power socket with nothing else attached to it. So i think i've avoided overloading the socket etc. It's just a normal power cable.

Question time!!! :lol:

- What happens when a HID light dies? Does it EXPLODE VIOLENTLY? Or does it 'fizz' out like normal household lights.
- Is any special treatment required to care for HID lights? Things i know are.... dont power them off and on rapidly, dont touch them with your skin when installing, dont let water hit them when hot
- Are ballasts in general fire hazards? Do they tend to fail violently when they do fail? I have mine sitting on a non flammable surface with 6inches clear space around in all directions, does that suffice?
- Is it safe to spray fertilizer etc on plants when the light is on, as long as, to the eye, no mist is floating up to the globe? Or is it best to do when the globe is off. (i think so)
- Is venting and ducting fans REQUIRED for a 600w setup like mine? It seems the heat is not building up too bad with all ventilation-holes open on the tent, as long as i keep the globe far enough away from the chillis.

And of course:
- What general fire safety / electrical safety protocol do you follow for indoor growing?

Thanks all!

- What happens when a HID light dies? Does it EXPLODE VIOLENTLY?
Sometimes

- Is any special treatment required to care for HID lights?
Keep them cool

- Are ballasts in general fire hazards? Do they tend to fail violently when they do fail?
Yes and sometimes

- Is it safe to spray fertilizer etc on plants when the light is on,
No unless you have a glass cover over the lamp

- Is venting and ducting fans REQUIRED for a 600w setup like mine?
No

I don't think fans are required, but they will help keep the tent cooler. I can't setup my 1000 watt until I get a blower to suck air from my closet because the heat can get over 90 in a matter of minutes. My 400 watt as it is now can be run without the floor fan propped up next to the door pushing cool air in, but if it's not on the temps get over 85. I don't think it's required, but I would get something to help lower the temp even a little.

Back