• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Ideal Zone 7 potting, overwintering?

For my new superhot garden this year, I'd like to maximize yields growing with 20 gallon pots.

My first question: Is outdoor overwintering relatively successful in Zone 7, or would indoor overwintering be worth the extra effort repotting?
Second: If I need to overwinter indoors (maybe in 3 gallon pots), would peppers fully occupy a 20 gal. pot every 150 day growing season? I'd hate to waste that volume if they don't.

Thanks for your help. I've already researched overwintering basics, but any additional tips are appreciated.     

I did my first grow last year in zone 7 and once winter time came, I just chopped off the roots enough to fit decently into 1 and 2 gal buckets and they've survived pretty well barring some possible pest issues. Just pruning the first time, leaving them in a south-facing glass door, and watering every now and then has kept them alive.

I just reread your question. Whoops
I haven't tried myself, but attempting to overwinter outdoors in our zone seems risky. I seem to recall 20s or lower for multiple days this past winter.

what you would probably end up doing is bringing the whole 20 gallon pot inside. I've done it with a 7 gallon. Just trimmed the branches back to about half.  It's a hassle and even finding space for a 7 gallon plant from December to March was a pain. Worked though. To me anything over 7 gallons in one season isn't worth it. Just my opinion though.

pawpsicles87,

Here's an answer for the first half of your first question.  Being far from an expert on hot peppers, I am a pretty darn good Zone 7 gardener.  I can't speak for Zone 7 in New Mexico, but my Zone 7 in Pennsylvania (which has been assigned the same temperature range as your NM Zone 7), regularly sees single digits in the winter.    We don't see it every week, or, for that matter, every month, of every winter, but we do see it every winter.  Not good for any pepper plant, hot or not, which is a perennial, not the least bit frost-tolerant and is happiest when it's much warmer than in the 50s.  

Hope that helps.

Back