soil I acquired a bunch of garden soil... What to do?

Ok, I have always grown in containers and I know you aren't supposed to use garden soil in pots because of the obvious drainage issues, etc, etc. I will be growing in containers this year as always with a proper potting mix (Pro-Mix most likely when I transplant). Anywho...

I acquired a bunch of Miracle Gro Garden Soil and I'm not 100% sure on how to really use this since I never played with the stuff or grown in the ground. Even after extensive research online I am a little fuzzy on how exactly you use this stuff. No one seems to explain it very well from my searching. Do I simply mix it up with the existing soil in my yard to kind of boost the existing soil or what? It would be nice to put this to some use and I have no qualms about digging up a small part of our back yard if that means extra space to plant some peppers.

Thanks for the help and putting up with my n00bness.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Ok, I have always grown in containers and I know you aren't supposed to use garden soil in pots because of the obvious drainage issues, etc, etc. I will be growing in containers this year as always with a proper potting mix (Pro-Mix most likely when I transplant). Anywho...

I acquired a bunch of Miracle Gro Garden Soil and I'm not 100% sure on how to really use this since I never played with the stuff or grown in the ground. Even after extensive research online I am a little fuzzy on how exactly you use this stuff. No one seems to explain it very well from my searching. Do I simply mix it up with the existing soil in my yard to kind of boost the existing soil or what? It would be nice to put this to some use and I have no qualms about digging up a small part of our back yard if that means extra space to plant some peppers.

Thanks for the help and putting up with my n00bness.
I did the same thing a couple of years ago thinking I was saving money and just going to mix it in with some potting soil to save money.  If you have the room start digging up the yard.

Nightshade said:
i dig a hole throw some soil in and then plant simply and effective

So it really is that simple? Boy do I feel like a jack***... :rofl:  So does the surrounding soil help aid in the drainage?

XLNT said:
I did the same thing a couple of years ago thinking I was saving money and just going to mix it in with some potting soil to save money.  If you have the room start digging up the yard.

Oh no, I would never put this in my containers. I have plenty of extra yardage for the soil I was given. Nice little slope to it as well. I just didn't want to tear up the lawn (resulting in my imminent death via my hormonal pregnant wife) if I wasn't 100% on what I needed to do.

Nightshade said:
in my case it aids in keeping moisture up and temperatures down.

Ahh, I gotcha. You live down in the land of sand and sun. We live in NE Ohio, so we don't have any issues with moisture or scorching temps (although hot enough for a former Alaskan like myself). Our lawn isn't exactly the best quality soil. Lots of clay and sand.

On that note...

I love Las Vegas! Hands down my favorite place to vacation!

Till it into your inground plot.If your soil is that bad it can't hurt. I have never used it but I am guessing it is pH balanced which will help and the peat will break down. Buy some compost/manure to till in also.

I took some old cinder blocks I had and made raised bed. I put some banana peppers and radishes in it. I am still doing my "good stuff" in pots just in case.

I use the MG Garden soil in raised beds and containers.  The product may vary across the country, but down here I would not dream of using it without mixing in generous amounts of perlite.  It is just too wet & dense otherwise, imho.

If you have clay and sand, you might want to mix in some peat moss with your new soil.

till it all together about a foot deep.

Make a raised bed. Pick your location and mark off. Till up the ground a few inches deep. Mix that garden soil into existing tilled soil. Put up your boards to contain the bed. Throw all your garden soil in. Top it off with a little mulch. You're done. There's some good info on Farmer's Almanac site. Check out their raised garden section.

Back