• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hydroponic Hydroponics for beginners is this system viable? for that many plants

I found this video on youtube, I have everything except nutes, and the mesh pots.

[media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah3zrGRmx80[/media]

It looks like it should work, but I am just messing with the idea of hydroponics now.

He has 11 plants in this 1 box. But who knows how large they would get in there.

any recommendations with this? its pretty in-expensive.

Jester

Its called Deep water culture it is very forgiving for beginers.
Try to get the water very oxigenated. more o2 your roots have the better

Its called Deep water culture it is very forgiving for beginers.
Try to get the water very oxigenated. more o2 your roots have the better

will that system support that many pepper plants? I could piece this together in minutes, and slap the peppers in? its really that easy?

I might try this out... thanks for the info.

You will need a ph meter.
ph drift will cause root lockup.
I would try to put as least as possible.
If one doesnt make it the dead roots decomposing in the container will contaiminate the others.
It is that easy just keep it clean.
Lets see what you can do.

ok thanks, I saw a video here by Tonly using single buckets, but the plants look like monsters. I might test this with 4 plants, so there not gigantic, and gives root area for them.

I looked a handheld one online, for ph and another for ppm testing.

Chile plants can have their growth controlled by pruning to almost any size you want. Full-size chile plants grown with good growing conditions can get quite large like this manzano:

crop5983.jpg

Or they can be pruned like this manzano:

IMG_8026.jpg

I used those containers this year and was able to get 2 plants in the 30 gallon sized one. You can do more, but once they start growing big, (and they will) they start growing into each other and it's hard to get enough light to each plant so If you go with the 30 gallon size I would say 2 max if you want a full sized plant.

I might put more then I should so I can stunt there growth, and possibly take cuttings off them come spring and put a bunch of peppers out from them.

thanks for all the info guys.

that guy has to be an engineer, can't believe he took a 10 minute process and made it a day long project.

i found when i switched to 20-20-20 i got leaf burn and switched back to 15-15-30 tomato fertilizer after changing the water. when all my plants were young and approximately the same age, i used 10-52-10. as they grew i switched up to the tomato fertilizer. but, i have this bucket of general all purpose fertilizer that i thought i would use up as it has been in the garage for about 15 years - i had to switch back. if you want to further research this, just read up on general hydroponics solutions and see when they recommend adding their floragro/floramicro/florabloom products. you may also be able to reference it back to feeding of nutrients with the aerogarden(their tablets). i am currently looking at a product from CIL, it is a granular vegetable fertilizer product with 8-8-8 listed but for micro nutrients contains added calcium, magnesium and sulfer along with the others(iron,boron,copper,zinc etc) but i hate to spend $13 for the pail when my tomato fertilizer is working fine.

your air pump won't add more oxygen into the water (infusion), all the air pump does is agitate the water and nutrient. it also helps to keep the water slightly cooler, which helps to keep oxygen in the water, oxygen is released as the water temperature gets warmer, plus you get evaporation. in order to infuse oxygen into water you have to do the smash test; you would have to rig a system that puts a pipe just at the surface of your water(so the water doesn't splash all over the place), i would guess that pipe would have to be at least 10feet in length. then let water drop through the pipe and smash onto the water surface, this would infuse some oxygen - think waterfall.

but, doesn't that really complicate something that is so simple - just add more water? forget the ph meter, most city water supplies are ph balanced, once your plants get growing if you feel they are sickly and you feel it may be ph related, then go out and get a ph meter. as for plants dieing and leaving roots that contaminate the water and other plants, that i don't get unless the dieing plant died of a root virus. if you have a root virus you have bigger problems, because it would point to your seeds being infected and all your seeds would have to be tossed. or you have a natural airborn disease and you would have to sterilize your entire grow room. again, going way over the top - over analyzing.

as for size, if your plants get too big, they may just fall over with out support. i had to keep cutting back my hot lemons as they were towering and i had a hard time controlling their growth spurts (i am constantly pinching off leaves but new growth continually appears and i kind of think this encourages new growth) - they were 2 feet tall when i moved them into soil. which is something i do, grow the plants to 4-8 inches then into soil they go.

before adding plants, you may wish to fill your bucket with water and let it run with the air pump for a night to help evaporate any excess chlorine from your city water - every city has what they believe to be the necessary chlorine acceptable levels and floride(if your city adds that). unless you have a reverse osmosis filtering system then you are good to go.

good luck and may your plants be as big as my mother-in-law! doh!

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/22760-dwc-hydroponic-how-to-video/

check it out. Tonly's got some huge plants.

i am using a 9-12-12 is that too low?

In my opinion wouldn't use anything over 10-10-10 for my fertilizer. I found that peppers don't "need" a lot of fert to thrive and bigger isn't always better. Instead of just fertilizing the soil I also foliar feed my plants once a week with a 1-3-1 fertilizer and I add in worm tea every other week. They seem to be doing a lot better then previous years when I only used a soil fertilizers.

i am using a 9-12-12 is that too low?

Don't use soil fertilizer in hydro.

The main difference between hydro and soil fertilizers is the nitrogen source. Ideally, only calcium and potassium nitrate are used in hydro, where soil fertilizer often uses urea and ammonium based nitrogen. The urea requires a soil orgainsm that does not exist in a hydro system to convert to a usable product. The ammonium nitrogen can cause root damage if too much is used. It seems to work OK with up to 15% of the nitrogen source. Ammonia nitrogen can be used in moderate amounts to bring a high PH down.

I've tried something similar at home but NEVER could get more than 2 days stable nutrient solution.
OK, mine was around 5-6 gallons but anyway...

I think that the main trouble was because I couldn't get some hydro fertilizer here in Croatia, have tried with soil fertilizers but didn't make any success...
:(

Back