• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting How to stop flowering under lights

Gday guys and gals another simple topic but none the less could do with some help , some of my plats under lights r starting to produce flower pods but they r still quite small and want them to concentrate on growing is there any way to stop or slow the process? They r an annum f1 super chillis about 200 mm tall I know they r a small bush but still to cold yo graduate to out side any tips tricks or advice would be appreciated , cheers
The k-strain :)

Plucking the flowers won't technically damage the plant. But if there are too many for this to be practical, one thing you can do is back off the light, heat, and any nutrients you are giving them. The plant should take this as a sign to slow down, but no guarantees.

Initially I planned to pull the flowers when they appeared, for the same reason...to get the plant to concentrate solely on growing, but personally I'm glad I just let them do their own thing...as if mine grew any bigger then I'd have run out of indoor space a long time ago!. I guess with yours it's not got to that stage though, and as spring is nearly here you won't have too long to wait until you can go outdoors with the grow.
Good luck. :)

From what I gather the plant will drop the flowers if it's not ready or the growing conditions arn't right. But I know FA so take my advice with a grain of salt.

just let it run its course, the only thing you can do is clip off the flowers, but then more ill appear, so just lei produce the pods and you get to eat them, as pods produce the plant will contiue to grow till the plant is at maximum pod production then growth will slow to a snails pace till the pods ripen and you start clipping the ripe pods off, then you will notice a growth explosion and even more pods.

Pick off as many blooms or even better early buds as you feel like putting the effort into. If you don't get them all you are still closer to your goal.

If you pick off enough flowers, and keep it up for a lil' while, the plant will see it's not a good time to flower and focus energy back into vegging. I had to do that quite a bit last winter. My overwinters were a bit too trigger happy.

Mmmm mixed reactions but all valid points, maybe just let nature run its course for now! Will it be and issue if pollen / flowers r near my other baby's that haven't flowered yet , will it stay in that area and cross poll later? Should I isolate it

^^ Some pollen will remain around but odds are low that would matter, cross pollination primarily occurs from insects going bloom to bloom which isn't going to happen much with plants inside. The odds are very low you'd get crosses from residual pollen but the only way to have 99.(n) % certainty is to isolate them. The only way to get to 100% is grow only one type and kill everything else everywhere.

However, eventually you're going to have them all blooming simultaneously unless you keep picking blooms off all season and if you do that, there wasn't much point in having the plant...

You don't need to worry about flower production so much. If a pod sets, pluck it. It's fairly easy for the plant to spit out flowers but when small plants have to focus on growing pods, it will dramatically slow the growth in my experience. Leave the flowers, pull the pods. They could be flowering because you need to pot up? When the roots start to pack in, it signals flowering and pod production. Plucking flowers is tedious and unneccessary in my opinion.

^ It's usually easier to see the flower to pluck it than the beginning pod after the bloom falls, at least for me.

Back