• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer How much fertilizer

Hi everybody!! Ok. I just bought some fertilizer, the instructions says to add one tablespoon to a gallon of water, but how much should I add to the plants whit a spray gun?? My bhut Jolokia and Red savina peppers are gettin there 6th pair of leaves, they are in some Moisture control miracle gro soil, it feeds them for about three months, When should I use the fertilizer and how mach should I spray on the plants? Thank you so much!!!

does the instructions say you can use it as a foliar spray? I am assuming that's what your intention is when you say spray, if it is not a foliar spray don't used it, you may burn the plant leaves, just use epsom salts and water.

Hi everybody!! Ok. I just bought some fertilizer, the instructions says to add one tablespoon to a gallon of water, but how much should I add to the plants whit a spray gun?? My bhut Jolokia and Red savina peppers are gettin there 6th pair of leaves, they are in some Moisture control miracle gro soil, it feeds them for about three months, When should I use the fertilizer and how mach should I spray on the plants? Thank you so much!!!

It depends on the size of the spray gun. Do you mean the standard ones that you can buy at home depot. They are usually 32oz. 32oz. is equal to 1 quart. There are 4 quarts in a gallon. So...divide the 1 tablespoon by 4. 1/4 of a tablespoon or since there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon, 3/4 of a teaspoon.

Sorry if that was confusing but depending on what you have to measure with it will either be 1/4 of a tablespoon or 3/4 of a teaspoon.

I don't foliar feed so I don't have any advice on that. Just figured I would give you a breakdown of the measurement.

It depends on the size of the spray gun. Do you mean the standard ones that you can buy at home depot. They are usually 32oz. 32oz. is equal to 1 quart. There are 4 quarts in a gallon. So...divide the 1 tablespoon by 4. 1/4 of a tablespoon or since there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon, 3/4 of a teaspoon.

Sorry if that was confusing but depending on what you have to measure with it will either be 1/4 of a tablespoon or 3/4 of a teaspoon.

I don't foliar feed so I don't have any advice on that. Just figured I would give you a breakdown of the measurement.
Well its not for foliar, just would add it to the soil, but how much? I cup of water with fertilizer to a 3 gallon pot?

get rid of that MG moisture junk first off! Get a quality potting soil without the added ferts or read the soil thread and make your own but the ferts should be 1/2 strength at most till it gets older. Hot peppers don't need a lot of ferts, and at most every 2-3 weeks. And they HATE wet roots so go easy on the water...might even let em' wilt slightly between watering...slightly.

Foliar feeding is fine and very effective. Since they are already in MG, don't give them anything but water for the next 3 months, then maybe a spray every couple of weeks towards the end of the season. I usually spray mine in the evening after the sun is going down. If you overwinter, they need no ferts during that time IMO. MG is not great soil, but it works. You'll have better results and more pod production with a higher grade soil.

You should just add a bit to the dirt and work it in. IMO and IME, not more than twice this year.

Mike

Personally I would not add water soluble fertilizers to your soil. If you get a light rain it will be to concentrated, or a strong rain will flush it all away :(
Mix at 1/4 to 1/2 of what's recommended

If the chiles are growing well, leave them alone.
Chiles are not very engineered and can't use a lot of fertilizer of any kind. Don't treat chiles like tomatos.

I think this is why I grow peppers better than my tomatoes is that I am frugal with ferts. Just gotta know what your plants need and when. Sunshine and rain is all they need.

I think what Marito is asking is: OK, I got a fert, I've mixed it to the proper dilution, now how much of the diluted mix should I pour onto/around each plant?

This is a great mystery question that has never, to my knowledge, really been answered either on a fert bottle or a discussion forum either.

Let's say you get some Alaskan fish emulsion (5-1-1) and it says to dilute 1 tbs in a gallon of water. OK, check. NOW what? Should you pour a pint around each plant? A quart? Should a gallon of the stuff cover a whole garden, a 4x4 bed, one big tomato?

In my experience using the water soluable ferts, I find a gallon covers around 8 plants, meaning a pint per plant, and then I water it in. But, I have NO idea if that is the right amount.

If my plant is in a container, I pour a weak nute solution until it starts to drain from the bottom. (1/2 strength twice per month, unless the plant is shorter than 1 foot, then 1/4 strength weekly).

If the plant is in the ground, then the amount depends on the size of the plant. Generally just give it a good soaking as you normally would when watering.

I think what Marito is asking is: OK, I got a fert, I've mixed it to the proper dilution, now how much of the diluted mix should I pour onto/around each plant?

This is a great mystery question that has never, to my knowledge, really been answered either on a fert bottle or a discussion forum either.

Let's say you get some Alaskan fish emulsion (5-1-1) and it says to dilute 1 tbs in a gallon of water. OK, check. NOW what? Should you pour a pint around each plant? A quart? Should a gallon of the stuff cover a whole garden, a 4x4 bed, one big tomato?

In my experience using the water soluable ferts, I find a gallon covers around 8 plants, meaning a pint per plant, and then I water it in. But, I have NO idea if that is the right amount.
That is exactly what I was trying to say!!! lol. Thanks

One thing I have come to find out is there are a lot of trial and error in gardening. The people on this board help eliminate a lot but it still takes learning on ones part.

Back