• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

How does scoville Rating translate into perception?

Of course, we all know that the higher a scoville rating, the hotter a substance. But I've always wondered, how does the scoville rating actually translate into the perception of heat level?

I always thought that the higher a scoville rating, the hotter the burn. Simple enough in concept. Also, by this reasoning, you'd expect something with a hotter initial burn to last longer, as well. But as I've tried more extracts and extract based sauces, I've noticed that's not true for me. Some stuff has a definitively hotter peak heat level, but goes away quickly, while others (Defcon 0 is a good example) don't have as high a peak, but the burn lasts forever.

So, I wonder, which really is hotter - The maximum peak burn, or the maximum integral of burn over time? And which corresponds to the higher scoville rating?

wow thats deep......kinda like if a tree eats a habenero and screams and nobody is around dose it still make a sound..

me personally like a slow and stedy burn more than a quick burn and release...but for chili so i dont discourage a judge i try and go for the bam here is the heat and now its going away.

I don't do extracts, but as far as fresh chiles
they all have a different effect. Habs, rocotos, fataliis and even jalapenos have a different part of the mouth that the heat hits, different after burns and length of heat.
I've seen people eat a hab with no problem then a jalapeno makes his recepticles flair. funny huh?

Back