• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Home made temporary greenhouse?

I'd like to get my plants out earlier next season, and keep them out longer
at the end of the year.

Extend my growing season.

Anyone ever build any kind of temporary greenhouse or tent-like structure?

I do not want a permanent structure. I just want something for the beginning and end of the season that can be removed during the nice weather.

I think I can probably work all it out on my own, but no point in re-inventing the wheel.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

I'm not concerned about extending the season but I do want to get an early start, at least hardening plants off. I guess I could lug 300 seedlings inside and outside each day but I would just as soon be able to stick them outside and be done with them.

My greenhouse will likely be very simple. Drive seven 2x4s in the ground, with the front four being six inches lower than the back three. Wrap the sides in clear plastic. Run about four 1x1 slats across the top and cover them with plastic also. Then build some kind of a door - using plastic so I can get in and out.

It won't be over six feet tall, and probably no longer than six feet or wider than four. I'll use regular light bulbs to provide heat if I need to but be able to open the door during the day to let air out. Probably line the bottom with black plastic so it absorbs heat during the day and put the plants on boards so they are off the ground.

Or, I may wait until AJ posts a blueprint and copy it!

Mike

Good luck Skyjerk not as hard s you may think buddy,really just plan it well and position it to get as much light towards the autumn and winter times..heavy gauge polythene does a great job to:)

talas said:
Good luck Skyjerk not as hard s you may think buddy,really just plan it well and position it to get as much light towards the autumn and winter times..heavy gauge polythene does a great job to:)

Actually I think I have developed a design that I can implement cheaply for
only the cost of the heavy guage polythene nd some good adhesive.

I have my plants on a table I built for the purpose of holding them. I also have a camping tent that has 3 long flexible rods that are the frame of the tent. I can use those rods along with the polythene to make a small hoop house on the table thats about 8 feet long, 3 feet wide, and approximately
3 feet high.

Should be cheap to buy the polythene, I already have some 1x3 I can use to frame the bottom, and I already have the poles.

I have a vent fan coming from my basement under the deck that actually vents out room temp air. If I attach a short flex-duct tube to that I can run it right up into the hoop house and push room temp air into the hoop house at night. It wont be toasty and hot in there but it should be able to maintain a temp in the 60's at night and I could take the whole thing down in just a couple minutes during the day.

Hmmm.

wordwiz said:
Or, I may wait until AJ posts a blueprint and copy it!

Mike

with my other project that is going on, I will not be able to build a permanent greenhouse (yet), so I will have to build a hoop house for extending season and early next season...

bentalphanerd said:

yup...this is what I want to build in the October time frame and it will stay up until probably mid March...

AlabamaJack said:
yup...this is what I want to build in the October time frame and it will stay up until probably mid March...

I'm using the concept of this hoop house, but to scale it down as much as I need to I need different materials for the hoops. I dont think that even the small PVC is gonna be flexible enough to make hoops that are only 3 feet wide. But my tent poles can bend that much easily :-)

agree the tent poles will work for the size you want....how many plants are you going to try to extend the growing season for?

I need something I can put probably 30-40 big plants in to extend growing season and then again in the spring I can move my plants out earlier than I did this year...

AlabamaJack said:
with my other project that is going on, I will not be able to build a permanent greenhouse (yet), so I will have to build a hoop house for extending season and early next season...

AlabamaJack said:
agree the tent poles will work for the size you want....how many plants are you going to try to extend the growing season for?

I need something I can put probably 30-40 big plants in to extend growing season and then again in the spring I can move my plants out earlier than I did this year...

Right now I just have a paltry 6 plants, but next year I want to bump that up to 14. Thats all my deck table can fit. I dont have a yeard thats usable for growing.

thats cool...14 plants will give you as many peppers as you can eat probably....

Back