• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Hibernating plants for winter: Hell No!

Hey ya'll, brought the pequins and orange habs in for the winter as its cooling off here in the big dry ditch. I bought some cheapo flourescent shop lights, some 5000k/40w bulbs and created the indoor blues garden. My gal graciously let me put the whole shebang in our little used formal dining room. (she wants something shiny me thinks) The habs were doing well outside but under lights are really loving it longtime. The Passow mutant pequins are doing very well and have started new growth at the base on most of the plants and are still fruiting. Here are some pics...

The setup.
0111.jpg

0112.jpg

0113.jpg

0114.jpg

Post your wintering or under lights pics.

Cheers, TB.

is it getting that cold in the ditch already TB?

good looking setup my friend...keep an eye out for the baddies...

TX Blues,

Keep us posted with how the plants produce. If all those flowers turn into ripe pods down the road, you'll end up with a very bountiful harvest.

BTW, are you doing anything to stimulate pollination, such as using a fan or shaking the plants?

Mike

AJ...it's just now hitting mid 40's at night and while I don't worry about killing the plants at that temp, I worry about fruit and blossom drop even though it still warms up to low to mid 70's daytime.

Cheezy...I'll be starting several more hab plants from seed soon so I'll be well ahead come spring.

WW.... I have a small fan on the plants for stressing and as a consequence it seems to be working well to spread the pollen dust around.

I have a aphid spray I use from one of the local nursery's that I give the plants a dose every 6-8 weeks. No worries on the bugaboo's.

Best guesstimate is I have about 450 ripening peppers on the vine now. It is slow torture for me waiting for them to turn red.

Cheers ya'll, TB.

texas blues said:
Post your wintering or under lights pics.
Cheers, TB.

Mine nearly bought the farm when I first brought them in.
Just didnt have enough light. the leaves all turned yellow and started falling off big time. All 4 plants almost totally defoliated.

Added a 400 Watt HPS lamp and raised them up a lot closer to the lights and
they have almost completely recovered. You can still see some of the left over yellowed leaves on the Naga's.
All the nice green foliage is new growth since I got the lighting squared away.

Pepper plants are not supposed to be deciduous, but these gave it a good effort :-)

Took these pix on Saturday. Turned the lights off to take pix because the HPS lamp makes all photo's appear very red.
You can make out parts of blurry Naga Morich in the foreground, and Caribbean Red Hab's in the back...

Plants are flowering like crazy, but not setting any fruit despite lots of shaking and blowing with a fan on high.
Just as well. Let em grow stem and leaf till spring, then they can fruit their butts off when I move em back outside.

Green_leaves.jpg

Even with good light, it is so different from the sun that most plants will drop leaves in order to grow leaves that are better suited to the new light.

It helps the plant if you de-foliate and cut it back so that it doesn't send energy into the doomed leaves.

If your winter is short and you have good lights, foliage can be maintained, but new growth will outgrow the saved foliage, making you wish you had cut back!

Great Looking Pods Skyjerk the HPS rae really doing there work for you and nice to the leaves so green and healthy.Must have the light and Distance level spot on ;)

Back