• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum Harvesting Jalapenos???

How big do the pods have to be before harvesting Jalapenos? I have some about 1 1/2 inches long and I want to eat them!

That's been my yardstick with all varieties new to me...

I let them colour fully and then know what size is mature for the future.

Don't rely on size as different jalapenos on the same plant will be different sizes. If you must have a green jalapeno wait until it matures and changes shades a bit but ripe is definitely best

Yup, ripened to red before picking for me, too. Sooooo delicious when allowed to ripen, and yeah, you'll know how big they get for future harvests.

If you wanna eat green ones, buy them at the grocery store - they're pretty cheap right now. Then, let your green ones mature into the red masterpieces they can become:)

This is a common question.

You can use them either green or red.

Green go in salsa verde, in poppers and etc.

Red are sweeter and more picante and are used in salsa rojo, for chipotle and etc.

I've got a nice jap plant that's several months old and has already produced fruit. I let the first round go pretty long and they all got pretty corked but no red. They were starting to look like they were getting past their prime so I harvested them all. The 2nd round of peppers is filling in nicely--shouldn't be too long before they're fully grown. I've been moving the plant outside during the daytime to bask in the sun and then back inside at night. I'm hoping this will give me larger size and quantity as well as letting the peppers turn red.

I used to have a plant that would turn the peppers red almost before they were done growing. It was amazing.

willard3 said:
This is a common question.

You can use them either green or red.

Green go in salsa verde, in poppers and etc.

Red are sweeter and more picante and are used in salsa rojo, for chipotle and etc.

I've used them in both green and red condition, so I'm comfortable with their uses, but I was asking if they would ripen to red after being harvested when green....

Anyone know?

They will still ripen after being picked. Try the paper bag ripening method. Put your under-ripe peppers in a bag with a ripening banana or tomato and the ethylene gases will speed up ripening.

So, what do you want? the traditional green jalapeno or red? its up to you.
Personally, I eat Jalapeno green, just like you find in a store but I grow serano for the equivalent and grow it red.

POTAWIE said:
They will still ripen after being picked. Try the paper bag ripening method. Put your under-ripe peppers in a bag with a ripening banana or tomato and the ethylene gases will speed up ripening.

Schweeeet!

I read somewhere that peppers don't continue ripening, and didn't investigate further. Then, a month or so ago I was convinced that some discarded peppers had changed colour, but wasn't sure.

Good to get confirmation - thanks!

Back