• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting Harvest Time

What kind of smoker are you using? I have an electric and find it's hard to get enough smoke at temps under 200. i've been running it at 275 for an hour before i put the peppers in and then i dial it back to 175...seems to help the wood smoke easier over the next 6 - 8 hours.
Mines a charcoal smoker. I think its a Brinkman that I got at Menards. Has a pan for the charcoal/wood in bottom then another pan for the water above it (I sometimes put some apple cider and/or other flavors in the water). Has air controls (4) to regulate the heat. I usually smoke at about 200-225 - never had a problem generating smoke. I soak the wood for a couple of hours then lay it over a bed of hot charcoal. Need to watch to make sure that all of the water doesn't evaporate or it gets too dry. I've been smoking ribs, brisquits, etc. for several years so I've got pretty good at it. The peppers are new project - this is my 1st year.

Here's a partial of my harvest on the Friday before Labor Day. I didn't include the Cayennes and other misc varieties. Looks like I'll be busy making hot sauce and dehrydrating - plus a little smoking :) Of course, I'll need to enjoy some of the pepper Vodka that I made a few weeks ago. I'll be going down to St. Louis to watch the Illini/Missouri game - of course, tailgaiting is mandatory. Looking forward to some spicy bloody mary's and some hot poppers! Go Illini!

Part 1: Includes Naga, Orange Hab, Caribbean Red, Hab Peach, Red Scotch Bonnet, Congo Red, Paper Lantern, Fatali Red, Various Thai, Charapita, Datil, Beni Highlands, Vietnamese Tearjerker

P1010941.jpg

Part 2: Includes Venezuelean Sweet Hab, Lilac Bells, Peruvian Pointer, Aji Limon, Anaheim/New Mex, Hinkle Hatz, Goat Pepper, Biquinho, Inca Drop, and Tobago Seasoning.

P1010946.jpg

Hope that everyone has a safe and enjoyable Labor Day Weekend.

Here's a few pictures of what I was able to pick on the Monday of the long Labor Day Weekend. I also posted some pictures of a Naga/Paper Lantern/Red Fatali combination that I smoked and dehyrdrated on the Hot Pepper Talk forum - I think that they're kind of cool. Anyway, here is today's harvest - things are slowing down - that includes, Cubanelles, Peach Habs, Naga, Paper Lantern, Orange Hab, Aji Limon, Datil, Goat Pepper, Beni Highlands, Caribbean Reds, a single Congo Red, a bunch of Venezuellan Sweet Habs (1st year I've grown them and the last year that I'll grow them - hate them), Vietnamese Tearjerker (love them), Cachuca, Sibricher Paprika, some Thais, and some other assorted Reds.

P1010948.jpg

Peach Hab (love the color):
P1010950.jpg

7 Pot Yellow:
P1010952.jpg

7 Pot Close Up:
P1010954.jpg

One Big Happy Family:
P1010956.jpg

Hope that everyone in the USA had a safe and happy Labor Day Weekend.

Very nice harvest Buddy! If you decide to save some of those yellow 7 pot seeds, I would love to do a trade.

Charles

Very nice harvest Buddy! If you decide to save some of those yellow 7 pot seeds, I would love to do a trade.

Charles

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a pod when more ripen. I can't guarantee that they didn't cross-pollinate as they're not isolated from my other plants.

Well, sadly my season is winding down quickly. I've already pulled out well over 1/2 of the plants that I grew this year. Here is a picture of what I just picked in the way of hot chiles - I also harvested a good number of cayennes, Inca Drop, Peruvian Pointer, and Thais.

This picture includes some 7 Pot, Scorpions, Caribbean Red, Orange Habs, Datil, Paper Lantern, Congo Red, Yellow 7 Pot, Fatali Red, and Naga:

P1010982.jpg

I probably have about 5-6 Scorpions, 20-25 7 Pots (both kinds combined), a few Mustard Habs, quite a few Orange and Peach Habs, and quite a few Fatali Red and Datil left. Then it will be about time to call it quits for the growing season.

Well, my season continues to wind down. I sent out quite a few pods to those of you that took me up on my offer of sending free pods to anyone that wanted them (I no longer have anything else worth while). I do, have a fair amount of 7 Pods left on the plants (they're also continuing to flower) that should mature before the season is over. Here are a few pictures of what I believe to be the largest of my 7 Pod Yellows. While I've turned a lot of them into powders and/or flakes, shared quite a few with others, and used a fair amount in making hot sauce, I think that I'll keep this one in its pristine state for myself.

P1010989.jpg

P1010991.jpg

Season is really winding down. I do still have some of the late season Chinense plus a few others still going strong. Here is today's harvest of some of them. I also picked an equal (or slightly greater) quantity of Thais, Cayennes, New Mex/Anaheims.

Nagas, Scorpions, Aji Limon, Orange and Peach Habaneros, Caribbean Reds, 7 Pot Yellow, 7 Pot Red, Beni Highlands, Paper Lanterns.

P1010998.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the picture. Its dark outside and I took it on the dining room table.

Back