• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting harvest green peppers, or cover my garden?

so, out in my garden, there's about 15 plants left, douglahs, scorpions moruga, chocolate habs, ghosts, etc. with a million green pods, it's supposed to get down to 32 a couple times next week. if I cover the entire area with a tarp at night, do you think I will get them to ripen up some more, or just pick them, and try and ripen them inside?

yes if u keep the cold mist from landing on the plants they should be just fine.
but in the morning u need to take the cover off and let them enjoy the sun 

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago with Bhuts--plenty of full sized green pods and frost in the forecast. I dug up the plants (didn't take too much trouble with them) and put them in plastic pots and brought them inside. After a couple of weeks they had all ripened to red.

hmm, I do have two 275 gallon full rainbarrels back by the garden, maybe I will just soak them down the nights that will be really chilly. . .

OhioGrown said:
hmm, I do have two 275 gallon full rainbarrels back by the garden, maybe I will just soak them down the nights that will be really chilly. . .
I did a test last year, everything I covered was damaged and everything sprayed no issue. There are a bunch of threads on it but the short of it is that frost dehydrates the plant by pulling moisture therefore saturating it counter balances that impact. I'll be doing the same here next weekend if the forecast remains, 35 and 36 at night. 

Back