• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Growing Peppers in Black Plastic Containers

Hi all,

I've planted my peppers in Black Plastic Containers this year and when I mentioned this to an employee of the Garden Center in Home Depot he encouraged me to paint the black containers with Lime to reduce the heat on the roots that the black containers create. He said the heat harms the roots.

I've also read that Pepper roots like warmer soil. Does anybody have any insight on this matter or had a successful season using black plastic containers? Please find a picture of the containers below.

Thank you!

wzPMK.jpg

Awesome Bro! Don't listen to the employees of the Garden Center in Home Depot, the same ones who over-water everything and let aphids run rampant! hehe
Peppers like Heat and Heat likes Peppers!

Thanx fer the post...

All my pots are black, thousands of them.

Chilli like warm roots, hmmmmm. <INSERT HOMER DROOLING>

Mezo.

It depends on how hot it gets where you live.

Here's a recent discussion you may be interested in:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/30779-my-plants-thrive-in-the-shade/

I use black pots but in warmer climates I'd go with a lighter color or place pots as close together as possible so the plants shade each other and pots/roots don't heat up as much

Last year I used a combination of black, green and white pots. Plants in the black pots looked better initially, but when we started having 100+ degree days for 3 weeks straight the plants in the white pots definitely performed better. I think as long as your temperatures aren't getting above 95F you should stick with black.

Thank you pepperheads,

I live in Santa Rosa, California in Sonoma County which has a Mediterranean climate with average Summer highs of 83 degrees and lows of 53 degrees. It seems, from you all have said, I should be fine and won't have to spend my weekend painting black pots green :lol:

Thank you for your help.

Thank you pepperheads,

Shhhh don't tell no one.... :} but now your just bragging... :liar: "Summer highs of 83 degrees and lows of 53 degrees." 97 today and climbing!!!!

I always heard good things about using Black containers especially when over-wintering, naw you can paint em up all Haight-Ashbury style if u want...

Be well...........

Back