• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting grow lights in summer

Now that it's summer time I wanted to ask if anyone used their grow lights at all after moving their plants outside, or if everyone just unplugs them until winter.

Some do start new batches indoors, but I unplug mine until I'm ready to start more. I let my overwinters go dormant so lights aren't needed for them during the winter, so really just use the lights for new starts.

You will find no man-made lights that are as strong as sunlight. As long as you've got an area to put your plants in that receives at least 6 hours of sun each day, there is no need for artificial lighting. You being in NC should have no problem with this, unless you're in an apartment or something.

I'm going to use mine! My garden will be at my parents and I'm gonna get a jump on pods for winter and a couple new kinds for next summer. If i plant them in a month or so with some pruning I'll have some monsters for next spring!

Right now, I have half of mine unplugged only because I have a couple plants, but once I move, I'll probably only be using the small growlight I use for the seedlings and sprouts, and even then only sparingly, given the amount of space I'll have outside

Using mine to start different types of flowers and other veges for the garden. I'm also starting bonsai trees and other projects. I still have a few chilis under mine. My hardening off process is a bit slow and I don't have a lot of room, so I have to get them ready in batches.

I have four T5 tubes on full blast all through spring and summer for my carnivorous plant collection. This also means that the lights are generally too low down for any chilli plants over 3 inches tall.

Mine are still on trying to coax about 2 dozen new seedlings to grow. They will probably stay on line for a few weeks until I can harden them off and get them outside full time.

Back