• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Greenhouse vs outside sun

I have 8 plants (bhut jalokia, red habanero, orange habanero, thai, jalapenos) in 5 gallon buckets that I moved to the greenhouse a few weeks ago because the cooler/rainy days have returned to Washington. Today is a sunny day with a high 65-70F. I can take the plants outside and they can enjoy direct sunshine and 65F, or leave them in the greenhouse with the temp. at 85-90F. They are all setting pods nicely and many are half to 3/4 of the way to full size. This time of the year we get lots of cool and cloudy days and I can keep the greenhouse at a steady 80F with no problem, but on the rarer days like today, I want to take them all outside. So my question is this. Do I leave them in the greenhouse and maintain the hotter temps, or bring them outside to the direct sun, but cooler temps? My main goal is to get those dang pods to grow and ripen. Thanks.

If the greenhouse gets temps in the 90's I would put them outside unless you can bring some cool air in. I think you would end up with flower drop at those temps.

85-90 day time temp isn't going to hurt the plants...especially if your night time temps drop below 80...

I would not take them in and out of the greenhouse...moving them in and out of two different environments will shock the plants...if they are producing good inside the greenhouse, don't look a gift horse in the mouth...

I only have three pepper plants in pots, and no greenhouse. But I live in northern Ohio, and am not watching the daytime highs, but the nightime lows. I plan on leaving my plants outside until the temps start dipping below 50F at night, at which point I'll bring them into the house. For now, they seem really happy with this arrangement - still flowering and podding up. What are your nighttime lows like?

Also, I'm curious - it seems that keeping the temp around 80F throughout the winter would prevent them from going into dormancy. I plan on putting mine into the basement and letting them go dormant. Wondering how those two approaches compare, regarding the plant's life. Does letting them go dormant over the winter make them live longer? Does one approach increase or decrease production over the other? Anything else to be aware of? (Or does keeping them warm not stop dormancy?)

chileaddict,

One of the best books on growing in a GH is "Lighting Up Profits" that was edited by Paul Fisher and Eric Runkle. A bunch of interesting stuff about getting the most production from a GH grow with much of it dedicated to lighting. Basically, if you are getting 35,000 lux inside the GH for eight hours a day, you are getting enough light to completely ripen fruit and nearly enough to raise very good plants.

Mike

I'd definitely Leave them in the greenhouse. 90F is not very hot, my greenhouse gets hotter than that most sunny days without problems.

Chiles do not go dormant, but you can get them to a state where they grow very slow, which I call semi-dormancy. You need to give the plants very little light, and a coolish environment for this to happen

Back