• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Greenhouse Ideas

Yeah, sorry about the huge by large pics, it's all I've got for now- I'm out on the ice and can't resize the pics on my server at the moment :oops: I'm going to do a writeup on my setup when I get home, if I get time.

I hope you're not on a 14" monitor on dialup!

Nah,

I have a 22" monitor and broadband but I'm running at like 1020 pix wide display. But do think about those on a 14" monitor with dialup!!!

Mike

While looking for some gnomes for Linda's fountain, I ran across this site (I got a gnome with a solar powered lantern there). I'm wondering if it can provide enough overhead light to go with the light from the south and east walls so that I can install a standard roof and insulate the crap out of it? If so, it would make both heating it in winter and keeping it cool enough in summer much easier. If I go with the 18" one, I figure in two years I will have saved enough in heating costs to break even. I have most of the lumber I need to build the roof so I would save money on plastic or panels now and for the next 20 years, plus wouldn't have to worry about scraping snow or ice off the roof in the winter nor hail storms in the summer.

I've e-mailed the company asking if they have or can provide before and after light meter readings.

Mike

Had a chance to do some more reading about solar tubes. The best one (not most expensive) can deliver ~32,000 lumens of light, possibly much more as I will have a very short tube. Less than $300 to cover 400 sq. ft. I can in theory save that much in heating costs the first year.

Mike

Wow, in the last few days has Lady Sun Grow been shining on me. First, I find two 6' x 2' "window doors" in the barn I'm tearing down and then this morning a friend tells me she is replacing all the windows in her house and I am welcome to the old ones.

None of these are state-of-the-art high energy efficient windows but I have lived in an old house for years and have become quite adept at using layers of plastic to cover them in winter time.

It will be a huge advantage having windows before I start erecting the structure as I can size openings so the windows fit with little extra work.

Mike

I just drove by the house - those windows appear to be close to five feet tall and at least 30 inches wide. I may just line three walls with them plus use two of the "window doors" as skylights.

Lots of good ideas floating around however landing a #12 wire on a 30 amp breaker isn't one of them. Typically only a 20 amp or smaller breaker can be used. Good luck in your greenhouse endeavors, I too hope to someday have one.

hydrojunkie said:
however landing a #12 wire on a 30 amp breaker isn't one of them. Typically only a 20 amp or smaller breaker can be used.

Not sure where your info comes from - I've been running a 30 amp breaker with a 12/2 with ground wire for 20 years and haven't had any problems.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Not sure where your info comes from - I've been running a 30 amp breaker with a 12/2 with ground wire for 20 years and haven't had any problems.Mike

.....Yet......

You may be running it, but it's a NEC code violation and, if you load it to 30 amps, you will burn stuff.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. My brain went MIA. I've been running 20 amp breakers, not 30 amp at least since I moved here 20+ years ago.

I have had some weird things happening to my body, starting with a 30 pound battery falling on my foot - mainly the first joint of my big toe and the one next to it, but no excuse. I was simply wrong about the breakers I've been using.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. My brain went MIA. I've been running 20 amp breakers, not 30 amp at least since I moved here 20+ years ago.

I have had some weird things happening to my body, starting with a 30 pound battery falling on my foot - mainly the first joint of my big toe and the one next to it, but no excuse. I was simply wrong about the breakers I've been using.

Mike

Hahah. Now you are making sense. You sounded so confident in your original post I left it alone. I figured well maybe he only draws 15 amps and that is why he has not had any problems.

Been in the electrical trade 9 years (IBEW LU 176) so I was just trying to help you out. No worries man wasn't trying to be a prick, just didn't want anything bad to happen. One of my pet peeves is people who give bad advice on electrical work (mainly refering to employees at lowes,menards,home depot,etc. not this post). Talking about wierd things happening to your body I am 28 going on 40 , I never figured a couple of years would make a big difference but it seems I can't go like I used to a couple of years ago, makes me cringe at the thought of getting older.

Guys,

I feel like a buffoon! I've been wiring houses for 25+ years, way more than that if you include installing a light bulb, with a switch, in Mom and Dad's attic!

No formal training except for working with my brother-in-law. John was good - he worked as a lineman for TVA and other companies in his short life. Talk about high voltage - he worked with it.

What really wrinkles my fur is that a couple of weeks ago I was researching the power needs based on 1200 watts of electric heaters , 600 watts of lights, plus air pumps, fans, etc., and knew that I needed to run a 10/2 w/ground wire. A total brain fart.

I would like to blame it on a crushed couple of toes (a decent size car battery fell on my foot and I was wearing only tennis shoes) combined with a summer cold and a mother of a tooth ache. But even so, I should no better. Geez, I've replaced an electrical panel without having the service to the home turned off. Now that was a nervy experience.

Mike

Back