Got Shot Down Today

A couple of products I make can legally be made at home under the Ohio Food Cottage Laws. There is a list of foods that can be produced without permits and such but it can only be sold in Ohio. Well I called the ODA (Ohio Depatment of Agriculture) today with a question. The question was Under Ohio Cottage Laws I can only sell my "Cottage Products" in Ohio....What about internet sales? It is my impression under internet commerce laws the sale actually takes place where the product is sold from, meaning Ohio. Their answer is if you sell it on the internet there is no way of monitoring it so it is ILLEGAL to sell a product that has been produced under Ohio Cottage Food Laws to be sold on the internet.

Oh and also I am waiting to hear if my "Sour Apple Habanero Jelly" will fall under Ohio Cottage Laws because its a jelly or if it will fall under acified food laws because of the ph level. They are supposed to call me back.

Boy does that SUCK!!!!! That limits my sales potential bigtime!!! But I will abide by the laws and sell them only in Ohio till I can afford to produce in a manner that can be sold worldwide

Lots of states have similar laws. They are designed for farmers markets and flea markets etc. not international commerce.

thehotpepper.com said:
Lots of states have similar laws. They are designed for farmers markets and flea markets etc. not international commerce.

I know but I thought I would give it a shot though...wishful thinking. So I'm gonna attack every Farmers Market, Flea Market and show I can to sell as much of my jellies as I can to finance my sauces and such.

Nothing wrong with starting local. Have you approached restaurants, cafes, and specialty/gourmet shops?

Sorry it couldn't be easier for you.
Here, I can only sell homemade sauces etc. to farmer's markets, and only as long as I'm the one making and selling the product, and as long as the product is labelled that it has not gone through any government inspections:(

well we (my 10 year old daughter and I) are well on our way! we have a decent list of jellies and jams that we will be selling........still waiting for the OK from the ODA on the Sour Apple Habanero Jelly

I liked my dealing with ODA. They put me on hold for maybe 90 seconds while they found the person I needed to talk with.

If you want a space to sell your jellies at the FM I'm running, I promise I won't ask for permits or licenses!

Mike

Back