annuum Gigante Jalapeno

HI all,
I've recently developed a special interest in large jalapeños, especially for stuffing.

I did a search for Gigante but I was unable to find an answer to my main questions.
Burpee's website doesn't offer much of a description and customer service is desperately lacking.

Is Gigante a hybrid? (I prefer open-pollinated)

Days to red from transplant? (Short season here, 120 frost free days, 60 days with average nightly temps off 55 or more, if I'm lucky)

Were you happy with Gigante?

Thanks!

~Pepperjack

Its a hybrid indeed my friend..Gigantic,Gigantica etc lots of spin on that name and i grew it myself last season,Must admit though it wasn't as large as advertised ans saw bigger results from normal strains,One iam told for the New season that is very Good is Hercules :(

Gigantia, Gigantic, Gigante, Gigantica and such are not the same chile. just many people "inspired" by this appropriate name. I've grown the Gigantia one and was pretty big, but not huge.

never knew there was something like that, are they still as *cough* hot *cough* as the normal jalapeño? I'm looking for something really big to make poppers with. but yet not too hot. although jalapeños might be way weak... but guess I could make them for the whole family.

munchzilla said:
never knew there was something like that, are they still as *cough* hot *cough* as the normal jalapeño? I'm looking for something really big to make poppers with. but yet not too hot. although jalapeños might be way weak... but guess I could make them for the whole family.

Anaheims are great large peppers only a mild heat but make great
Roasting/Grilling peppers and wonderful to stuff with cheese/mince etc,Just a great allrounder,Again another i would go for virtually no heat but great with some sea salt and olive oil are Pimento de padron,Try Fresno as poppers to..Tastier than Jalas :(

Normal jal variety? Probably just a non specific jalapeno.
My Jalapeno grande and Jalapeno M were both near 12cm. The two are said to likely be the same but I don't know if Jal M is a hybrid? I don't think so.

POTAWIE said:
Normal jal variety? Probably just a non specific jalapeno.
My Jalapeno grande and Jalapeno M were both near 12cm. The two are said to likely be the same but I don't know if Jal M is a hybrid? I don't think so.

They where Thompson & Morgan i think,They where just Jalapenos on the packet not a Hybrid,But R.B no`s more about that than me POTAWIE
:)

talas said:
They where Thompson & Morgan i think,They where just Jalapenos on the packet not a Hybrid,But R.B no`s more about that than me POTAWIE
:)

Yeah they just said Jalapeno on the Thompson and Morgan packet, Gary from Ireland who was in the comp. had the same seeds as me. They tasted sh*t though.

EDIT: Gary actually had one grow to 12.5cm after the competition ended and they were still growing.

Jack,I have seed from the #6 Jal in the challenge,they are going quick,I'll send a few if you like.Mammoth Jalapeno.I stuff ëm with various cheese,Wrap with smoked bacon(Thick bacon requires nukin' first)
Grill very slowly till bacon is crispy.I had a lot of chili wimps eating these,they have a bit of heat(mix seeds and placenta with cheese for more)
These are fine tasting jalapenos,There were no xtras.My largest were the first peppers formed in the spring,I think an early start is helpful,Of course I live in a weird growing region,All my Chinense are now flush with buds...Get back to me for seed

Back