• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil GH Flora Series for Soil Grow - Concentration

Orange Habanero planted in fox farm ocean forest soil with extra perlite added.
Its been in the pot about 3 weeks, receiving mostly indirect sunlight in my office.
Huge south facing window, but only gets 3 hrs of direct sunlight.

I'm not expecting miracles out of this plant, just something to get my mind off of work occasionally.

I ordered General Hydroponics Flora series nutrients yesterday, FloraGro, FloraMicro, FloraBloom.
I read that only FloraMicro and Bloom are needed for peppers, and to start at 1/4 strength if applying with every watering.

But I did not find any concentration info posted here.
5ml Micro and Bloom per gallon?
1ml Micro and Bloom per gallon?

I really do not want to burn this plant, I've had a variety of issues with fert burn with other plants in semi-hydro setups.

c0L2QbG.jpg

Chewi said:
http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/resources/feeding_schedule/floranova_recirculating_expert_simple/

its the DTW feeding schedule. I couldn't figure it out either a few weeks ago. Probably won't need those for a while since that Ocean Forest is pretty hot. Love it though. FFOC FTW!

Nice looking office plant btw. I keep a few myself during the winter. Just something to kill time until the spring thaw.

Everything I've read here says to 1/4 or 1/2 the recommended concentrations.
Are you using FloraGro or just Micro and Bloom?

I just got a bottle of the 0-5-4 Bloom to get me through the rest of the fall. Using Texas Tomato Food as my base http://theurbanfarm.com/tomatomagic.html
I'm no expert though. Just playing mad scientist until the frost comes. There is a dude here I think who lives in New Zealand or some such place who uses the whole Flora line. I actually bought the bloom after looking at his plants. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Give the GH away and buy a bottle of Foxfarm Tiger Bloom. The GH is gonna create salts problems with soil, Its not nearly as compatible as FFTB which is made for hydro and soil use. Also if your tap water PH is around 7.8-8.0 like most, it will simultaneously bring your PH down to 6.0-6.3 (ideal) when used 1-1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon.

IMO GH is cheaply made and needing multiple bottles of their line to make a complete nutrient. Its junk IMO, I wouldn't use it in a hydro environment even.

Sorry folks, but thats my two bits.

hogleg said:
Give the GH away and buy a bottle of Foxfarm Tiger Bloom. The GH is gonna create salts problems with soil, Its not nearly as compatible as FFTB which is made for hydro and soil use. Also if your tap water PH is around 7.8-8.0 like most, it will simultaneously bring your PH down to 6.0-6.3 (ideal) when used 1-1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon.

IMO GH is cheaply made and needing multiple bottles of their line to make a complete nutrient. Its junk IMO, I wouldn't use it in a hydro environment even.

Sorry folks, but thats my two bits.

salt is a problem with just about any fertilizer which is why you're suppose water several times in between to keep salt from building up.

stevie said:

salt is a problem with just about any fertilizer which is why you're suppose water several times in between to keep salt from building up.

GH and Hydrofarm were founded very local to me. I started indoor growing 25+ years ago. I know salts when I see em.  :lol:

Seriously though I've logged tens of thousands of hours of my life under HPS's.  :cool:  :high:

Baseman said:
I used 3ml micro and 6ml bloom per gallon ant that worked well for me. I switched due to laziness to a orchid nutrient where you only need 3ml per gallon

I just mixed up my first gallon and was impressed with the resulting pH.

RO water: 67ppm, 6.5 pH
1 ml Micro
2 ml Bloom
2 ml calMg+

After mixing: 337ppm, 5.6 pH

Since I have fox farm ocean forest soil, I may hold off on fert. for a few more weeks.
I will also be feeding a different plant under 400w MH light fox farm tiger bloom.

Can't wait to see results, hopefully they compare with my current masterblend, cal nitrate, mag sulfate mix (see below pic)
DSC01799.JPG

DSC01800.JPG

pecker88 said:

I just mixed up my first gallon and was impressed with the resulting pH.

RO water: 67ppm, 6.5 pH

check that Ppm meter for accuracy because 67ppm for RO water is pretty high.. i have the cleanest tap water in the nation and it comes out the tap at only 43 ppm..
btw did you deduct the 67ppm from 337? because even at 330~ ppm it seems pretty low. i use maxibloom, and from what i gather it's basically like GH flora series, but in dry form and i use it at around 1/2 strength which brings the ppm around 500-600PPM. for new plants (under 10 inches tall) i would run around 450-500ppm and around 600-700ppm when they are more mature.

stevie said:

check that Ppm meter for accuracy because 67ppm for RO water is pretty high.. i have the cleanest tap water in the nation and it comes out the tap at only 43 ppm..
btw did you deduct the 67ppm from 337? because even at 330~ ppm it seems pretty low. i use maxibloom, and from what i gather it's basically like GH flora series, but in dry form and i use it at around 1/2 strength which brings the ppm around 500-600PPM. for new plants (under 10 inches tall) i would run around 450-500ppm and around 600-700ppm when they are more mature.

I was going from memory when I said 67 ppm for RO
I re-checked plain RO water this morning and it was 41 ppm

We have terrible well water, its extremly high in Calcium, Iron, Sulfur, and pH is 8.5
Water runs through an Eradicator system that uses hydrogen peroxide to remove the above chemicals/minerals.
Then it runs through water softener
Then it runs through RO system. So, if the RO ppm is slightly high I'm really not surprised.

After subtracting out the RO ppm, I'm at around 295ppm of nutrient solution.
The soil the hab is planted in is a really hot mix of shellfish, worm castings, bat guano, ect... Fox Farm Ocean Forest.
It's been in the pot about 30 days, and I think some of those goodies are still available.

I just want to start with low low low ppm and gradually work my way up.
I've burned the *&^% out of my hydro plants in my basement grow room, want to avoid that at all costs!!

Back