• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hydroponic Getting started with hydroponics

So many newb questions I hope someone can answer. This sounds like a good thing,hydroponics, visions of veggies fresh for Christmas, etc but.... the budget says how much is it gonna cost?

Here's what we have available to start out: 4-5 10 gallon aquariums, 6 shop lights we used to grow seedlings this year, rockwool, hydroton,some nutes, and a total lack of knowledge. Good thing we like challenges. We can muddle along slowly and improve as we go but I guess I'd like some idea of how far out of whack my utility bills will go. I'm not complaining but social security and SSI kind of make you watch what you spend. I know if I have to worry about cost I probably shouldn't be doing it but I'm stubborn! We are going to get some pumps soon, we have to buy a little at a time.

I've been doing some reading to try to understand hydroponics. I have a question on if you water other plants with old nutrients will that be a good thing or not? How will that affect them?

Since I know nothing I'd sure appreciate any help...lost in the dark lol.

Jackie

I'm planning on starting out with a soil garden and gradually gathering all the components for a hydro set up. However in your case it sounds like you have a good handful of the supplies needed to start. Get some net pots and aquarium air pumps and you could probably turn those aquariums into deep water culture tanks. Just make sure you paint or cover the glass to keep light out of the nutrient reservoir to prevent algae growth.

As for watering other plants with the old nute solutions...i dont know if i would put it on other vegi plants, but maybe on the lawn or on a tree, something thats hardy.

I have a pretty good beginner's ebook called How-To Hydroponics. If you're interested PM me and I can tell you were to find it.

pepperfever said:
So many newb questions I hope someone can answer. This sounds like a good thing,hydroponics, visions of veggies fresh for Christmas, etc but.... the budget says how much is it gonna cost? Here's what we have available to start out: 4-5 10 gallon aquariums, 6 shop lights we used to grow seedlings this year, rockwool, hydroton,some nutes, and a total lack of knowledge.

You really don't need the aquariums. Clear glass, nutrient filled water and light spells "Algae", big time.

The easiest method of all the types of Hydroponics for a new indoor grower is "DWC", (Deep Water Culture). After a search for a DIY, the only ones I found were all related to those who enjoy smoking marijuana, but the system is exactly what you need. (Pretty funny that that's all I could find).

Here's a link to what you would need to do:

Pardon the subject matter, but click here

Later, when you're more comfortable with Hydroponic concepts and practice, an Ebb and Flow system would be the perfect system for growing peppers. It costs more to build, but has almost no maintenance and will live for decades.

pepperfever said:
We can muddle along slowly and improve as we go but I guess I'd like some idea of how far out of whack my utility bills will go.
I've been doing some reading to try to understand hydroponics. I have a question on if you water other plants with old nutrients will that be a good thing or not? How will that affect them?

Find out from your elec bill what is your cost/kwh: it's $0.15/kwh where I am. Example will use a 100w lamp run 16 hrs/day (good for hydro)
(100 watts)/1000 X (16 hrs/day) X ($0.15)= $0.24/day
So each 100w lamp costs $0.24/day to operate for 16 hrs

I use changed nutrient to water chiles in the dirt garden with great success.

This cayenne isn't suffering too much:

longum.jpg

Back