• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

condiment Getting more heat in salsa (I'm trying for stupid hot)?

I did try to search, but I apparently am no good at it.

I've made a few batches of salsa (and I'm really happy with the flavor and heat) BUT.....  I'm trying to get 1 jar to be stupid hot and I seem to be having trouble.  What am I doing wrong?

The salsa is:  Roasted roma, garlic, jalapeno, ac vinegar, fresh onion, cilantro, lime, onion and salt.  For "normal person" heat I added 1 roasted ghost.  For the "stupid hot jar" I've added 2 small finely chopped Scorpion peppers to a 1 quart mason jar.  I'm getting the scorpion flavor and it does have plenty of kick, but I figured it would be hotter?  Is something in the salsa killing the capsaicin?  Would adding a bit of powder help the heat w/o hurting the flavor too much?  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Caveman 

Just put more peppers. I bought a jar of this Pace brand mango habanero sauce because they were out of the kind I like to buy that is actually hot. Well I tried it and it wasn't hot at all. I had to grind up and add 5 orange habs and probably around 10 white habs to make it hot enough for me to enjoy. So there is an idea about how much you can add to a small jar and just barely affect it's overall heat.

Not fond of using extract---seems like cheating.
But if you have the flavor exactly where you want it, no other way really to add heat without changing it.

Back