• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Germination with peat pellets

I've been using coffee filters (much easier to work with than paper towels, I think), but may be switching over to rock wool if it ends up being as easy to work with as people say. Screwing around with germinated seeds is finicky work; being able to just pull small seedlings out of the rock wool cube and stick them into <insert medium here> would be a lot easier.

I'm using pellets to start beets for my wife, and it's working extremely well, but for my peppers I moved back to non-soil media. Rock wool should give me more and easier transplantation options than starting directly in coir; hopefully that's how it works out.

J.H.Skarby said:
For 2 years I was primarily using coco pellets for seed germination.
It seems a better option than peat from my experience.

Paper towel method works great and is a lot cheaper though.

My favorite is the Ikea system called Växer or something along those lines.
Relatively cheap product, 50 open cells for which you can purchase some rockwool cubes.
I have germinated different kinds of herbs, tomatoes and a lot of different peppers in it already.
Even the Pubescens which to me can be quite a hazzle to germinate.
Superhots generally also sprout quite fast.
Seeds are always wet so you wont have to worry about misting them or anything like that.
It's not a perfect system but I really enjoy using it :)

I was planning to buy a Växer setup this spring but they stopped selling them entirely in IKEA Finland. Even last year when they had them, they did not sell the rockwool cubes.

Need to see if I can convince somebody from a nearby country to do an IKEA trip for me and post them to Finland. Too bad IKEA doesn't allow cross-country ordering.

podz said:

I was planning to buy a Växer setup this spring but they stopped selling them entirely in IKEA Finland. Even last year when they had them, they did not sell the rockwool cubes.

Need to see if I can convince somebody from a nearby country to do an IKEA trip for me and post them to Finland. Too bad IKEA doesn't allow cross-country ordering.
Wow I didnt know about that. Makes little sense for me when the product fits perfectly in with growing in Scandinavia.
I know that even mr Fatalii himself had a mention of Växer on his website at one point.

Oh Well..

I will let you know if my wife and I decide to go to Ikea again

J.H.Skarby said:
Wow I didnt know about that. Makes little sense for me when the product fits perfectly in with growing in Scandinavia.
I know that even mr Fatalii himself had a mention of Växer on his website at one point.

Oh Well..

I will let you know if my wife and I decide to go to Ikea again

Yep, Jukka mentioned that somebody posted him the Växer rockwool cubes from the UK! Damn IKEA :-)

OK, thanks, please let me know.

Back