• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Frozen Progress: What up?

Guys,
I'm growing several plants indoors in a centrally heated room, on a sun facing window sill.
For the last month or so, they've been going great guns. Lots of leaves, and some of them have hit the secondary-leaves-sprouting-from-existing-leaf/stem-junction. The Ring of Fire, Hidalgo and Jamaican Red Mushroom are doing very well in this regard.

However, the Jalapenos seem to have frozen. The conditions haven't changed or anything. There are secondary "buds" where new leaves will come out, but there's been no substantial growth for about a week. Previously, the rate of growth has been fairly constant.

Question: Is it normal for the plant's progress to "pause" for a wee breather every now and again?

I've tried jollying them along, and have also tried threats (I'll take the weakest growing plant, pick it up, walk it around the room to say goodbye to it's friends, then take it out of the room. 30 minutes later, I take the empty pot back into the room and leave it on the window sill for the other plants to see and contemplate. Normally, it works). Any hints? Just wait?

Shooty* said:
I've tried jollying them along, and have also tried threats (I'll take the weakest growing plant, pick it up, walk it around the room to say goodbye to it's friends, then take it out of the room. 30 minutes later, I take the empty pot back into the room and leave it on the window sill for the other plants to see and contemplate. Normally, it works). Any hints? Just wait?

That's so incredibly mean. It's all about the positivity, mate.

I used to live with a Wiccan woman, she had the most amazing garden I've ever seen. She said that the spirits living there would pick up on your feelings and either make the garden go nuts or fail miserably. I've personally never seen them (she said that she could see them when they wanted to be seen), and I don't know how much stock I put in that idea, but I alwasy try to be nice to my plants just in case :lol:

Maybe try giving alot of praise to the plants that are doing well and some serious encouragement to the ones that aren't. You may not have invisible garden gnomes, but hey, it can't hurt.:cry:

My invisible gnomes keep giving me wedgies..they're jerks, but taht aside...yes there can be pause periods. You can also try to add just a tad bit of nitrogen to the soil to see if its a nutrient problem.

Try feeding them some tomato fertilizer.

Also give up with threatening them, threats don't encourage life forms that have the capability to percieve and understand them, let alone chilli plants.

Tomato fertilizer it is... plenty of that lying around.

It's odd as they're in pots of new potting soil stuff, and I wouldn't have thought that they'd have exhausted the nutrients in their pots yet.

Will give it a try.

Was joking about the threats. Actually stole that passage from the Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet book Good Omens, though they made it far funnier than I recounted. Would recomment it as a good read.

Back