From the Real Beer Page Newsletter

QUOTE OF THE MONTH
"We have to keep it flowing, keep the beers happening. Don't shoot our wad with triple-hopped barleywines made of organic rye, filtered through Thomas Jefferson's corpse. We need to keep watching the show. We want long-term success."
- Nick Blakey at Bauer's Wines in Boston.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

or is he just a buyer? if hes just a buyer, then hes an idiot. you want EVERY product out there. if i go in a store and they dont have some super hopped beer, and thats what i am looking for - i wont buy anything.

also, boston has a ton of places to buy beer. and he is in a "wine" shop. boston has alot of beer stores. wine snobbery is not allowed there.

PS i am quite buzzed, so dont be offended by anything i just posted.

ross said:
PS i am quite buzzed, so dont be offended by anything i just posted.

*chuckle* I get that.

What I took him to mean is that there has been a recent trend to brew novelty microbrews beers, beers with a gimmick, at the expense of brewing high quality, solid, everyday beers.

My bias against heavily hopped beers aside, when most folks belly up to the bar to shoot the shit with their friends, they want a good session beer, not a gimmick. Very few people are going to have 3 or 4 triple-hopped barleywines when they stop by the bar on the way home from work, they want something that goes down a little easier and isn't going to get them too drunk to go on home, or empty their wallets. If the microbrew/brewpub industry is to remain viable, it's those solid session beers they need to brew and sell because those folks stopping in for a few beers are their bread and butter customers.

ah yes. a more sober me this morning realizes what the quote actually means. :P

i couldnt agree more though. i havent even been drinking anything thick, full of alcohol, and hugely hopped. ive been drinking alot of hop devil, oberon, ommegang, and hennepin. oh and budweiser, doh! i havent tried a new beer in over a week, even though i have a whole closet full of beer...

the barleywines are good for a 1 beer session. not 3-4, i agree. i dont know if i have ever sat down and drank 3-4 barleywines. perhaps sierra nevada bigfoot would be the only one i have done that with..

porters, ipas, saisons, and belgian ales on the other hand..............:lol:

Well I think there's room for both. I love novelty beers. I see a lot of parallels between the craft beer industry and the hot sauce industry. The "Big beers" or novelty beers ( if that's what you want to call 'em) are sort of like collectible hot sauces. They do have their fans...ans I'm one of 'em.

However, I am a BEER DRINKER and when I want more than one or two I'm gonna reach for something Mexican or German in most cases or yeah, something more "normal".

These days I also prefer the good session beers and only on occasion sample one of the high octane craft beers. Reason being, once I drank a Samiclaus followed by 3 Spaten Optimators. Next thing I knew I was farting and sneezing at he same time while trying to take my pants off over my head. Aaaah good times!

texas blues said:
These days I also prefer the good session beers and only on occasion sample one of the high octane craft beers. Reason being, once I drank a Samiclaus followed by 3 Spaten Optimators. Next thing I knew I was farting and sneezing at he same time while trying to take my pants off over my head. Aaaah good times!

you need to work on that tolerance.

chuk hell said:
Well I think there's room for both. I love novelty beers. I see a lot of parallels between the craft beer industry and the hot sauce industry. The "Big beers" or novelty beers ( if that's what you want to call 'em) are sort of like collectible hot sauces. They do have their fans...ans I'm one of 'em.

However, I am a BEER DRINKER and when I want more than one or two I'm gonna reach for something Mexican or German in most cases or yeah, something more "normal".

yeah i agree chuck. that is a good analogy too. i would rather eat sauce that isnt extract than sauce that is extract - but sometimes i just want a little extra kick, NOT ALL THE TIME THOUGH.

good point made chuck

also, for people just getting into craft beers..its usually best to start them off on something a little more mellow instead of something that takes a little while to develop a taste for. though in the end...i would say the more beer overall, the better! :!:

chuk hell said:

Oh sure, but I believe the point is that the industry seems to be producing novelty beers *at the expense* of solid session beers.

I use the term novelty beer, btw, because not all them are high alcohol, some are just gimmicky, like, for example, Sam Adam's Chocolate Bock.

I try and support the American Microbrew Industry. See, I remember back when "exotic" beer here in South Carolina was Moosehead, and fancy, expensive beer was Heiniken. I really don't want to go back to those days.

texas blues said:

.avi?

Back