lighting For Container Growers (Lights vs Sun)

As many of you here, I have a limited amount of space to keep my precious plants.  And where I keep them there is really no way to have an ideal ecosystem.. so I have to work with what I have.  This question will be directed more towards the people that grow your veggies or peppers in 2-5 gallon containers.  I recently had 1(one) T5 bulb on 24-7 giving my plants additional light (since they do not get enough direct sunlight)  I recently have but it back to 15-16 hours of light a day.  They lights they currently have are the cool white bulbs.. which to what Ive heard.. promotes just green growth.  Yesterday I was lucky enough to come up on a great buy of a 4 foot by 4 bulb T5 hood with bulbs.  I got some RED T5 to promote flowering... And I crazy for this or is this logical?  How many hours should I have this on?  Should I keep two white bulbs and two red bulbs?  Should I do all red?  How does affect the plant.  Any input will be much appreciated in terms on this lighting issue.. thanks!  I attached a picture so that people may see what the plants look like and the lighting.... 

http://i.imgur.com/CDgvZhQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8NTy3ow.jpg

Hi Emald. Nice looking plants!
I do get the feeling though, that they're still a little small to worry about flowering and fruiting yet (except for that tallest one maybe, guessing that one just overwintered?).

IMO imitating nature is the best, providing well balanced environment and nutrition (maybe without the pests though). Personally I use 65K daylight tubes for growth, and 47k cool white bulbs for flowering. Works fine for me. Lighting isn't the only factor though, nutes, pot size, plant maturity.... Heck, they'll start flowering even with only the 65k light once they feel like it.

plaisir8 said:
Hi Emald. Nice looking plants!
I do get the feeling though, that they're still a little small to worry about flowering and fruiting yet (except for that tallest one maybe, guessing that one just overwintered?).

IMO imitating nature is the best, providing well balanced environment and nutrition (maybe without the pests though). Personally I use 65K daylight tubes for growth, and 47k cool white bulbs for flowering. Works fine for me. Lighting isn't the only factor though, nutes, pot size, plant maturity.... Heck, they'll start flowering even with only the 65k light once they feel like it.
Thanks for the info!  All the plants were germinated at the same time.. some were just stunted and didnt grow as fast.. they have pretty thick trunks though.. and they all flowered at one point and then the heat wave came and destroyed it all.  At any rate.. I heard and read that red T5 will promote growth and flowering.. so I dont know what I should do.. SHould i put two reds and two whites?  

I'm no pro by no means but I don't think you can persuade peppers into flowering or budding with light since they flower and veg at the same time essentially...

Correct me if I am wrong please....nice looking plants though...

Edit: I also have done plenty of indoor growing (with a HPS though) with veggies other then peppers and I have never had my light on that many hours...albeit we use different lights and the type of plants I grow (cucumbers, tomatoes and strawberries) are different then your peppers...I will be growing peppers this winter though in my new grow tent with the HPS and won't have the light on that long, 10-12 at the most...

Back