• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Flashing Lights to Deter Critters?

Has anyone tried a rotating laser/LED light or strobe lights or some type of flashing light to deter critters?
I have tried all sorts of powders and urine and fencing.
If it isn't the rabbits, it is the deer.
I battled aphids all winter long in my grow room.
Now I am fighting the wildlife.
I have about 250 pepper plants and 50 tomato plants.
The combinations of the rabbits and deer have taken out at least 25 of my pepper plants.

Has anyone tried lights?

I could set up a "disco ball" and some strobe lights.
Put out some fermented blueberries and hard cider.
Hopefully that would keep them distracted and away from my pepper/tomato plants.

Chicken wire will keep rabbits and most things out - doesn't look very nice or pretty but it works.  For the deer I'd suggest a live wire - for the price of the disco ball and lazer lights you can buy a kit that will keep em away for good.  Or shoot em and eat really well.  ;)

I've read that if the flashing light isn't random the critters get used to it.
Like when using a fake owl,if you don't move it around,it stops working.

If you go with chicken wire,put 6in. + underground or the critters dig under it.

Flashing Llights,especially a Lazer carry a long way.
See the stuff about lazer pointers etc. being used to blind people etc.

Lazers and LEDS are totally different animals.

Let's hear what my neighbor's response is to your question, given that he installed some rather expensive lights over his garden last year: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! 

OOPS - that's what the deer/rabbits/chipmunks/squirrels/groundhogs/skunks said. He said something more like:  :mope:

My point exactly.
Do you want to get sued for EVERY car  accident SAID to be caused by ANYONE that claimes your Lights blinded them.

Needed a new car-crash their vehicle on a road by your place.

I see you paying for a Lot of so called accidents,buying new cars or whatever. ,in the long run over time.
Once people/SOME people see your Lazer show.
You are screwed by the users...Can't sleep etc.
Ya wanta bet how fast your house insurance gets cancelled?

Maybe your place/State/County isn't like Ca.
Do you want to bet your family income/security on it when the insurance Co. says it's your fault and cancels you or raises your rates.
Then screws you anyway.

With all the legal firms advertising these days that everyone owes you $ for everything under the sun.
Why risk it.

Ya,I might be jaded.

Everyone was my friend due to my health problems over the last year.

Most kept in touch with fake good wishes - wanted to get free stuff,I was told I was probably terminal at one time.

Chemo worked the first 2 times,didn't work the second 2 times.

Last 2 worked.

All of a sudden I was not a friend anymore.

People who offered 10 cents on a buck for my growing supplies never paid me...after I gave them the stuff after offered a price for the stuff they got.

Yup,the money order  is in the mail...I told them I wanted cash to pay bills etc.,but they didn't bring cash.
I thought I was history,so I let it slide.
I never expected to be screwed at the time...Thought  I was dealing with people who I knew and were my friends.
Most were users in the long run.

I'd never put the lights out unless no roads or people live near by.With Lazers-far away.

Fence and a barking dog is best honestly.  And when I say dog I don't mean a little ankle biter thats just going to be eagle/hawk food.

Also motion triggered lights and sound effects can work well.  Not hard to make from typical big box hardware store items.

Nuclieye said:
Fence and a barking dog is best honestly.  And when I say dog I don't mean a little ankle biter thats just going to be eagle/hawk food.
I would get a gaurden dog that would be quick and hate critters but loves gardening plants. Lol,
But serious.

Also motion triggered lights and sound effects can work well.  Not hard to make from typical big box hardware store items.

This first photo was taken May 13th

My pepper / tomato patch is over 200' long and about 4' - 5' wide.

PepperPlanting_zpss3h6i22r.jpg

This next photo was taken today June 18th

PepperPatch_zpsk7otjow2.jpg

This is what I collected this morning from my pepper/tomato patch

deadhead4_zpss8ovz742.jpg

deadhead5_zpstlooozrg.jpg

deadhead3_zpsd38sclid.jpg

At least a dozen plants where "topped" or totally bitten off at the ground.
Interestingly, none of the tomato plants were molested.

Oh, I almost forgot.
I own and operate a small dog and cat boarding kennel.
The kennel is about 50' away from the end of my pepper patch.
I also own 3 adult Boxers.
We have had a very wet spring and especially the past few weeks.
I am not seeing any rabbit or deer tracks nor am I finding any scat droppings.
Wondering if this may be the work of cutworms?

You would think that if it were an animal like a deer or rabbit, they would eat the part of the plant they cut off.

Does it look like the netting has been disturbed by an animal? 

Try going out one night with a torch, but only turn it on once you have it pointed at the plants. Cutworms will drop off the plant if exposed to light.

Good luck. 

SR.

Yeah, deer wouldn't leave "leftovers", and nor would most herbivores. Also, it's been my experience that they tend to prefer non-chile plants over chile plants. Doesn't mean they don't go for them at all, but that seems to be second choice. Deer would have no troubles jumping right over that fence, leaving it unscathed. I agree with shorerider - flashlight/lantern turned on at night to see what you can find.

Yesterday afternoon I sprinkled a good amount of diatomaceous earth around my pepper/tomato patch.

This mornings inspection found not one single plant was topped.

In the early morning and late evening, I usually walk the length of the garden with my .22
This morning I did not take it with me.  Yep, at the far end of the patch was a young rabbit struggling to find a way out.
Walking the 100 yards back to the house and returning, gave the damn thing time to escape.
Hopefully we will meet again.

Back