• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting First leaves... Lighting and fert question

So, back from my 5 day trip, and I've got beautiful HUGE cotyledons, and the start of some new leaves! Amazing what can happen while you're away. (Pictures to come when at home) I'm happy to say I've got nearly 100% germination from my Bhuts, and even the slow fatalis all lost their seed coats while I was away. All the chocolate habs are up and running, and I've also got 100% germination on my Rocotos, which look very strong (and fuzzy!).

Now that I'm starting to see true leaves, is it advisable to switch to 18/6 or 16/8 light cycle?

Also looking for recommendations on a readily available fertilizer, and when to start. I've read elsewhere in the forum, I believe it was Pepper Ridge Farm, using Neptune's seaweed early on, and fish a little later?

I've also got some Epsom salts laying around, and was thinking of giving a does of those once leaves expand.

Will do. At the moment, they're getting a 24hr shop light with flouro tubes, and sitting in a south-facing window.

Fertilizer times/recommendations? Would like to stay organic if possible.

FiveStar I do use Neptune's Seaweed when I move my seedlings into cups to help with root development, and Neptune's Fish when they start growing a bit. I also use Pro-Mix which has no added fertilizers to the soil so I must start feeding early. If your using Mircle Grow soil you might not want to use anything for a while. Congrats on all your new little babies.

Thanks Pepper Ridge. I've been using Fafard cactus mix for starting, as it's what I had on hand. Not positive, but I don't believe there is any fertilizer in there.

FiveStar said:
Thanks Pepper Ridge. I've been using Fafard cactus mix for starting, as it's what I had on hand. Not positive, but I don't believe there is any fertilizer in there.

I would check to see if it does because you could run into problems if you over do it on the little guys.I would recommend only 12/12 w/the lights or 14/10, unless you want to keep them warm then leave them on.

Dale

Back