• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering First attempt at over wintering

Making my first attempt to grow indoors over the next few months. during the season i grow both in-ground and in-containers. I read  on over wintering plants so I brought a bunch in my grow room a few weeks ago.  I am currently fighting  aphids and spider mites on a few plants...  Most I cut way back except my only surviving orange Habanero which still has ripening peppers, I prune off the limbs that are empty of fruit and the ones that are "older"  
8GUrsz7.jpg

Yeah aphids and mites are probably the trickiest part

It looks good.

Is that plant on the right a Psychotria? It looks like a member of Rubiaceae to me.

Max Nihil said:

Is that plant on the right a Psychotria? It looks like a member of Rubiaceae to me.

No it is not... it is my lemon tree, leaves are quite similar. I'm unsure as to what type of lemon, I grew from a seed that was given to me. It's a young 2 year old tree. Spider mites got me bad last year as I tried to control with soapy water ...this year I stepped up to neem oil and it is still a struggle!  My 3 year old pineapple plant is next to the lemon and I have never had an issue with any type of pest.. it actually flowered a few months ago and has a small fruit growing.

Yeah, I battled aphids all last winter, it was a losing battle for me with no predators; I tried DE, neem oil, orange oil etc. Went as far as using ant poison traps nearby as the aphids were being farmed by the ants. Good luck!

I now segregate my plants as I have stuff growing in a tent indoors year round. Plants that have spent outdoors get pruned down and just kept alive in the basement. I make sure the keep them far far away from my grow tent. 

The self cloning aspect aphids have is brutal.

They have a symbiotic bacteria that they require to live.
It is possible to exploit this against them but I am not aware of any products that do this.

UnNatural has a good point. Isolation is the most effective form of pest control.

Max Nihil said:
They have a symbiotic bacteria that they require to live.
It is possible to exploit this against them but I am not aware of any products that do this.

And this bacteria and method are what, exactly?

Aphids are one of the single most prevalent pests encountered in a pepper garden.  If you know something like this, don't you think it would be valuable to share?

Nevermind.  I'm on the ignore list.  :rolleyes:

Back