• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Fertilizer Recommendations?

So I'm looking for a good fertilizer to use, but I'm not entirely sure on what I should get. I bought some fish bone meal off of Amazon last year that worked very well, gave me nice looking plants and tons of peppers, but the smell from it wasn't the best. In addition to peppers I'm also going to have cucumbers and tomatoes. So can anyone recommend a good fertilizer that I could use? I'm not picky on whether it's a liquid or solid fert, just as long as it'll help with a good yield. Would also appreciate any recommended sprayers for said liquid fertilizers. Thank you in advance!

I am using GHE FloraMicro and FloraMato, which is liquid, and the results so far have been incredible. I mix it with water and bottom feed, not spray. You can see the results here in my glog:        Growing Chiles in HEL - 2019    

Last year, I mainly used bloodmeal and chickenshit which worked pretty well but the bloodmeal drove my terriers crazy and they kept attacking the growing containers.

podz said:
I am using GHE FloraMicro and FloraMato, which is liquid, and the results so far have been incredible. I mix it with water and bottom feed, not spray. You can see the results here in my glog:        Growing Chiles in HEL - 2019    

Last year, I mainly used bloodmeal and chickenshit which worked pretty well but the bloodmeal drove my terriers crazy and they kept attacking the growing containers.
Wow! Your plants look great! I wish I had a spot in my house to do that kind of stuff with. I'm definitely gonna give the Flora-brand stuff a try if I can get it. I unfortunately can't bottom feed since most of my stuff is going into the ground this year, but I'm sure I'll still get some good results. Thanks for the tip!

One thing when growing outside: damned rabbits. Rabbits will destroy your entire efforts overnight.

Rabbits avoid bloodmeal like the plague. Won't come anywhere near it. Just sprinkle some around your plants and you're good. Refresh it after a heavy rain.

I started using bloodmeal 6 years ago after rabbits visciously attacked my garden and haven't seen a rabbit in my yard since. No need to use wire cages, they just don't visit anymore!

podz said:
One thing when growing outside: damned rabbits. Rabbits will destroy your entire efforts overnight.

Rabbits avoid bloodmeal like the plague. Won't come anywhere near it. Just sprinkle some around your plants and you're good. Refresh it after a heavy rain.

I started using bloodmeal 6 years ago after rabbits visciously attacked my garden and haven't seen a rabbit in my yard since. No need to use wire cages, they just don't visit anymore!
Yeah, me and my dad have a plan for that lol. Last year we had them in our backyard so it wasn't much of an issue because our dogs usually scared them away, but this year they'll be in a bigger plot outside of the fence and we're looking into getting some stuff to put around it to keep the pests out. I may look into the bloodmeal still. Would I have to worry about anything else like raccoons or opossums you think?

podz said:

No idea, we don't have those animals around here where I live.
How can you live without the lovely Didelphis virginiana?

opossum-06jpg-c732beeaee02e10f.jpg

How about I mail you a few?

Cheap granular
Chick-N-Poo 2-4-3 and 8% calcium. A 25lb bag is like $10 at Lowes/Menards/Home Cheapo type places. That covers about 500sqft+
http://www.chicknpoo.com/product-info.html

Alfalfa meal is around $20-25 per 50lb bag at Farm and Feed type stores. Its close to a 3-1-2 nutrient and has quite a few of the micro nutrients. Good addition to composts too.

Cheap liquid

Well it dont sound cheap at $20/qt but a bottle of DynaGro Foliage Pro 9-3-6 goes a long way at 1tsp per gallon of water. CNS17 Grow 3-1-2 is cheaper but you will need a tbs per gallon. Both are good affordable liquids.

Easily available Alaska Fish emulsion 5-1-1 and its super cheap but it does smell. A gallon at Walmart is about $20. Quarts are around $10 everywhere. Excellent choice when used with a kelp or alfalfa product.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alaska-Fish-Emulsion-Fertilizer-and-Plant-Food-1-Gallon/17757317

podz said:

Good info! Wish I knew this before waking up to my horseradish being almost completely eaten this morning!

Back